Marcus Luttrell - The Lone Survivor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jepuskar

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I can't remember the last time I read a non-technical book, been 10 years at least, but I'm about done reading this book - The Lone Survivor by Marcus Luttrell - a retired Navy Seal.

Amazon.com: Lone Survivor: The Eyewitness Account of Operation Redwing and the Lost Heroes of SEAL Team 10 (9780316044691): Marcus Luttrell, Patrick Robinson: Books

My company had Marcus come in and speak to us a few weeks ago...he told his story, which if you're not familiar with, you should be.

It's a true story of an American patriot, one willing to die for his country. He talks about how he started training to become a Navy Seal when he was a teenager, then takes us through Seal Training..including Hell Week.

He then takes us to Afghanistan in 2005 where he and 3 other Seals went out on what turned out to be one messed up mission. I'm not going to go into much more detail, but at least wiki it if you have no idea what I'm talking about.

It was a NY Times Best Seller so it's been around for awhile, but the story just amazes me. Makes me feel like I've done nothing with myself. :shakehead:

Jason

I stopped reading the book half way through because the writing was so bad.

Yes, the writing is not that great...however it's his story, in his words. He is not a professional writer, he is a Navy Seal...so it shouldn't really of been a surprise.

Yes, the story is that of Marcus Luttrell. But, Marcus Luttrell did not write the book. Marcus Luttrell told his story to Patrick Robinson who in turn wrote the book. Patrick Robinson is a professional writer. I have read another book written by him. Therefore, I expected the writing to have been much better.

Yup, Luttrell did not write this, Robinson did. I'd have flunked high school English for such poor writing. Again, wonderful story, absolutely awful writing. As someone who reads a fair amount, this was probably the poorest written book I'd read in years. Shame given the material.

I post some stupid crap about engaging in conversation, then I post some crap about cave divers... each thread has numerous hits.

But in between these posts I posted this thread...about a man who just about died serving his country...and meh...nothing, just some half arsed remarks about the writing of the book!?!?!?!?

W T F

I saw him recently on a hunting show... He left before the production was complete, due to an injury to his twin, still in the service.

Saw in his bio on Wiki, some punks killed his dog? How ****ed up is that? Sick bastards.

I'll get the book. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom