mares abyss question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tacohandler

Reaction score
I am fairly new to diving and i am looking at buying a mares abyss reg. I need help with my choice on regs. I will be diving in cold rivers and warm hawaiian waters. my budget is between
$3-400. PLEASE help this rookie.
thank you for any input.
kevin

HI Kevin
The Mares Abyss is a top of the line Regulator. It will see you through many years of Diving under Ice, Extended Range and into the technical realm.

They are bomb proof, easy to maintain and easy to get serviced

Check out the Apeks ATX50 DS4 from DiveInn www.scubastore.com.

Running around $320 I think. I have used both and went for the Apeks. it's Lighter and is a fully sealed diaphram, where as the Abyss, is not. Can't go wrong with the Abyss - but for the same price there are better regs...

Willer

I have both mr22Abyss and mr12Voltrex regulators and they both work just fine for any diving from arctic to tropic diving conditons. Have been diving both as my backgas regulators for 6 years up until recently.

In opinion the mr22 is just a way of making you pay more for the same performance.

Thanks for the input. I went with the Abyss. Is there anything I should know about or consider when choosing an octopus? Thanks
Kevin

HI Kevin
I would stick with the same brand, makes it easier to service.
I use the Mares Axis on my Kit and found it to be very reliable, and easy to breath at all depths with two people sucking off the First Stage.

The Proton looks nice as well, however I have not used one.. yet

Cheers
Chris

I've got an Axis and its got a problem with free flowing as does my friends Axis. I traded mine for a Genesis Sidekick combo octo/inflator. My fiancee's Nikos works like a champ and I have a Nikos as a backup reg and its is tough to beat for the money.

tacohandler once bubbled...
Thanks for the input. I went with the Abyss. Is there anything I should know about or consider when choosing an octopus? Thanks
Kevin
...I have a MR22 and I would suggest you look at the enviro kit. It will help you out in salt water (by sealing the unit from corrosion) and cold fresh water (to minimize free flow ).

I'm also interested in comments on a more robust octo alternative for use with this reg. as I have adopted the hogarthian approach and have a vested interest in the quality of the octo since I will offer my 7' hose abyss to an OOA diver while breathing my necklaced octo...

Back
Top Bottom