• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Mares Air Control integrated inflator octo

Discussion in 'Mares... Just add Water!' started by blawler1, Nov 12, 2008.

1. blawler1

blawler1 Barracuda

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    I recently saw these for sale on an obscure website, but I can find nothing on the Mares website or any of the big Mares dealers. Does anyone have any information on this product? Is it a new product or possibly discontinued? As I have only seen it on this one site, I'm thinking it may be limited production or discontinued All that I can tell from the ad is that is appears to be based on the Proton. It looks cool and it would be neat to have an integrated octo that fits on a Mares BC other than Atomic($$$$).

Does anyone know anything about this product?

Last edited: Nov 12, 2008
  2. Phil Mintz

Phil Mintz Dive Equipment Manufacturer

Hi,

This is a new product that is schedule to be delivered to the market in April 09. I am surprized to see it on any site since we have not shipped any yet and it cannot be fulfilled.

Our website will be updated with all of our new products for 2009 just prior to Christmas.

If you know the site, please send me the link by PM so I can take a look.

Regards,

Phil

3. blawler1

blawler1 Barracuda

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    Thanks for info Phil. It looks cool. I think I will probably have to get one after they hit the market in April.

4. Robinlkj

Robinlkj Garibaldi

Can the Air Control be used with any Mares BCD? I would like to install it on an Origin Sport.
    Thanks!

5. Phil Mintz

Phil Mintz Dive Equipment Manufacturer

Yes, it can go on any Mares BC and most other BC's.

Phil

6. tracy_from_oz

tracy_from_oz Solo Diver

# of Dives:
    Phil

Will this product be ok to use for cold water/Ice diving or we dont know yet?

Thanks

7. StevenLees

StevenLees Angel Fish

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Is the Air Control out yet? I thought it was scheduled to be available in April.

8. Zak OHara

Zak OHara Dive Equipment Manufacturer

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    The latest information I have re: the Air Control is we should have available in N. America by mid to end of Aug. This is not 100% confirmed, but very likely. Sometimes new products take a little longer than expected or anyone would like. Believe me, we are all anxious to begin offering this product!!!

Thanks for asking.

9. Zak OHara

Zak OHara Dive Equipment Manufacturer

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    Tracy,

This product should be fully functional in most enviornments. It should operate no differently than a traditional polymer regulator. It does not have the characteristics of metal or carbon (best for cold water conditions). Freezing occurs from the air expanding and ultimately freezing any moisture on parts within the second stage. If you are not breathing or purging it out of the water, there should be no issues. If you are diving in extreme ice / cold enviornments, you need to consider the best gear possible to minimize any undesirable outcomes.

Ciao,

10. beanojones

beanojones Solo Diver

How is this going to work? Will there be hose adapters like the Atomic SS1?