Mares Drysuits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ean3x

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am in the market for a drysuit and while doing a little research I have run across the Mares lines. Until I received the '08 catalog I didn't know that Mares made one.

A little about me. I dive all year in Savannah, Ga. Most of my dives are spent spearfishing on wrecks and laying/crawling on the bottom of a river fossil diving. Water temps are 38-78 degrees depending on the season. Durability is a concern. I can be rough on gear at times. Price is a concern. DUI too expensive.
Does anyone have any experience with the Polarfit, Icefit, and dryfit?
What are the pros and cons of each?
Which suit would I need for the type of diving I do?
Latex vs. neoprene seals? Pros and cons?
Who replaces seals?
What are some of your likes and dislikes about the suits?
Any other info is appreciated.

Mares has marketed the drysuits for years in Europe. Did not know they were available in the US. Never seen one. I'm happy with my DUI and DiveRite drysuits.

Mares hooked up with Mobbys to make their drysuits for North America. The instructor I work with has an Icefit. It is a 4mm compressed neoprene suit. She is harder on equipment than anyone I have ever seen and it seems to be holding up. She said she likes everything about it except for the zippered cuffs over the latex wrist seals.
I have a Bare 4mm compressed neoprene drysuit and wear in water temps between 60-34 degrees.

I have the Mares/Mobby's Polar Fit. It is about a year old now - I bought it when it was first introduced to our local DS. I have really enjoyed it - especially the front entry. I also puchased the full undergarment at the same time. The only negative would be that the boot is not adjustable (no lacings). I wear a slip-on inside the boot to regulate the fit. For me it was perfect but I can see where people with foot sizes too small/large may have difficulty. I find the valves, inflator and venting, very easy to operate. I still use my BC for bouyancy and only put enough air in the suit to be comfortable. I would recommend that you consider it as an option. OntarioWreckDiver can tell you 'How Good I Look In It' cause we all know you gotta look good.

Ed

You look outstanding in your drysuit. I think you should volunteer to be a model for their catalog!

Thanks Y'all,
I think I'm going to get one. Not only will I look good, but I bet it will make me dive better.

Hi guys

I had a quick question in regards to the polar fit.

I want to put an Aussie patch on the side arm. If using neoprene glue, this shouldn't interfere with the integrity of the suit should it?

Thanks

Hi Tracy,

I am not 100% sure about the answer to your question. Personally I do not think "neoprene cement" will compromise the integrity of the outer shell on the Polar Fit. I would not use Aqua seal. I would carefully read the packaging of the glue you intend to use and make sure it is compatible with nylon. Sorry I can't give you a solid answer. I'll try to inquire with headquarters, for a more definitive answer.

Sincerely,

Last edited:
Thanks Zak, much appreciated.

my polar fit just came in on thursday and so far im very impressed with the quality and features it has! i have a dry suit class on the 26th and will let you know how it goes

brett

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom