Mares horizon: just add water?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It however (from what is visible on the videos/websites) does not incorporate RMS

The info I just looked at on the Mares site says it does tell you how long you have left on the scrubber. I presume that means it does incorporate rMS.

One instructor in fb also quoted 4000€, most probably including VAT.

The info I just looked at on the Mares site says it does tell you how long you have left on the scrubber. I presume that means it does incorporate rMS.
Unless it’s just a countdown from a scrubber reset like the Shearwater stack timer. Which would not be a bad thing.

Unless it’s just a countdown from a scrubber reset like the Shearwater stack timer. Which would not be a bad thing.

Yeah, that’s what I thought too, but the website says: “A sophisticated monitoring system informs the diver of how much time remains before they must replace the scrubber material”.

That would be pretty creative marketing if they were just describing a timer.

I think there is a need for a rebreather for recreational divers. I dive with a hogarthian setup and do not make technical dives. But I want to get a "simple" rebreather. I believe there is a huge market for recreational rebreathers if/when cost/size and complexities are lowered.

It's interesting on how it knows when the scrubber is exhausted. Perhaps the inhaled CO2 levels rise? or there is a sensor that detects a color change on the scrubber?

I think there is a need for a rebreather for recreational divers. I dive with a hogarthian setup and do not make technical dives. But I want to get a "simple" rebreather. I believe there is a huge market for recreational rebreathers if/when cost/size and complexities are lowered.

I actually agree with this.

I know that many CCR divers consider SCRs to have all of the disadvantages and none of the advantages of CCR. I know very little about SCRs, but in talking to some of SCR divers on other threads I can see the appeal. Relatively quiet compared to OC, easy to get nitrox anywhere in the world, even in places where you can't get O2, and if you have a poor SAC and are gas limited, you can get more dive time. Less tank schlepping for multi day trips. etc...

And while even a high tech modern "simplified" SCR isn't appropriate for ANYONE who is casual about diving, I can see the sweet spot between OC recreational divers and people committed to the complexity and extra risks of a CCR. Maybe the Explorer didn't hit that spot for a variety of reasons that have been extensively discussed, but that doesn't mean that it doesn't exist.

It's interesting on how it knows when the scrubber is exhausted. Perhaps the inhaled CO2 levels rise? or there is a sensor that detects a color change on the scrubber?

Hard to tell, I couldn't find the manual online. I'm assuming that if it isn't a simple timer, it's something similar to the rEvo rMS system (same parent company), which estimates remaining scrubber time. I'm not sure exactly how it works, presumably one of the rEvo divers will chime in. Apparently it takes into account breathing rate, depth, water temperature and personal factors...

I actually agree with this.
Thank you.:)

I know that many CCR divers consider SCRs to have all of the disadvantages and none of the advantages of CCR. I know very little about SCRs, but in talking to some of SCR divers on other threads I can see the appeal. Relatively quiet compared to OC, easy to get nitrox anywhere in the world, even in places where you can't get O2, and if you have a poor SAC and are gas limited, you can get more dive time. Less tank schlepping for multi day trips. etc...
Exactly as you state. Exactly.

And while even a high tech modern "simplified" SCR isn't appropriate for ANYONE who is casual about diving, I can see the sweet spot between OC recreational divers and people committed to the complexity and extra risks of a CCR. Maybe the Explorer didn't hit that spot for a variety of reasons that have been extensively discussed, but that doesn't mean that it doesn't exist.

Perhaps it was not the right time for that product.

Hard to tell, I couldn't find the manual online. I'm assuming that if it isn't a simple timer, it's something similar to the rEvo rMS system (same parent company), which estimates remaining scrubber time. I'm not sure exactly how it works, presumably one of the rEvo divers will chime in. Apparently it takes into account breathing rate, depth, water temperature and personal factors...
In anesthesia circuits which are for the most part SCC, one looks at the scrubber color and the iCO2 in the circuit to know when the scrubber needs to be changed. Of course we are diving so not sure how they determine when the scrubber is done with (as you state).

In anesthesia circuits which are for the most part SCC, one looks at the scrubber color

Sofnolime 797 doesn't contain indicator dyes.

In anesthesia circuits which are for the most part SCC, one looks at the scrubber color and the iCO2 in the circuit to know when the scrubber needs to be changed. Of course we are diving so not sure how they determine when the scrubber is done with (as you state).

Yeah, but in anesthesia, you also have end tidal CO2 monitoring. That's the holy grail for rebreathers, and there are a lot of technical reasons why it's hard to implement underwater. Watching that space closely.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom