Mares HUB for cold water diving.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tracy_from_oz

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi

I pretty much like the mares hub and want to get one.

I am wanting to know if anyone has an experience with this and also does anyone think this would be ok for cold water diving to ice diving? So it this versitle for both the tropics and the cold water/ice diving?

I am guessing i would have to get a cold water kit for both the reg and occy.

I know there is the new proton ice extreme out and i like that as well, but i am liking the hub for the fact it is compact, all in one and looks like a good way to go. Plus it will match the rest of the mares gear :D .

Also if anyone knows if the hub will be coming out with the proton ice extreme 1st and 2nd stage as well as the occy at all? As i think this would be the ultimate for a diver.

thanks

tracy

When I was interested in the Mares HUB I was told by my LDS and a couple of divers that it was junk. They say it's hard to maintain because of all the integrated parts.

They also said that if something breaks, you have to rip apart the whole thing to fix something. I'm not sure how much truth there is in that, but that's what I was told.

Tracy,

First, welcome to ScubaBoard.

Up at the top of the page, just below where it says "Welcome, Tracy from Oz", is the control bar. Third button from the right is 'Search'. Click on it, then Advanced Search. Enter 'Mares HUB' and click on enter.....

I sincerely hate to dampen your enthusiasm, however, you will find that nearly everyone except Mares employees has pretty catty things to say about the HUB. In fact, you may see some similar comments in your own thread. The HUB is one of those items that 'seemed like a good idea at the time', an engineer's dream and a user's nightmare. Aside from the more complicated critiques, the darned thing is simply expensive and heavy. If you're going to be traveling at all, ...you can do better.

But by all means, try one out and make up your own mind. Just use the comments that others have made to formulate some questions to ask the salesperson who tries to sell you one. See what sorts of answers you get.

Another thing you may want to do is talk to Ben. He's on this board. He sells scuba in Oz. Here is his website:

http://www.underwater.com.au/listing.php/id/963/

Best with that,

Doc

Hello Frank and Doc,

I thank you for all the advice and am grateful for it as it is better to have it now and know all the negatives others have had, before i actually buy one as it might save me a lot of hassles and be easier choosing another bcd etc.

I do travel alot and i know it can fold away and comes with its own bag as you have to take it in the plane with you, but i guess i am also liking the fact it is all in one.

I will do the search as you suggested, and it would be interesting to hear from the guys at mares what they think and how they counter the negatives people have brought up.
Either way i will get a mares bcd and regs, just which ones is the case.

tracy

tracy_from_oz:
I am wanting to know if anyone has an experience with this and also does anyone think this would be ok for cold water diving to ice diving? So it this versitle for both the tropics and the cold water/ice diving?

It's your choice, of course. Personally I think while Mares makes some excellent dive gear, the HUB is, in my opinion, not fit-for-purpose for scuba diving. The reason being that the regulator hoses are held together with a series of splitters which form single points of failure for the entire system in places where they are hard to see/reach and maintain.... Pop the hose off the splitter in your back (one on of several such points on the system) and you lose all functionality. No air, no buoyancy, nothing. I'm still sincerely convinced that as the HUBs age this serious design flaw will begin to cause increasing numbers of close-calls....or worse.

Mares does, however, make several good BCD/reg combinations that would be perfectly suitable for cold water. The proton ice / Dragon AT combination is similar to the HUB but probably less expensive and without any dangerous design flaws.

Of course since this is the manufacturer's forum someone from Mares will be along shortly to tell you that I'm talking out my neck but use the search function to see for yourself what people have to say about the HUB in other threads..... Incidentally, this problem isn't limited to the Mares HUB. The Dacor HUB isn't fit-for-purpose either, for similar reasons.

I am guessing i would have to get a cold water kit for both the reg and occy.

It's not just the kit. A good cold water reg is designed for cold water from the ground up. The proton ice is Mares' cold water reg and certainly a good choice.

R..

Thank you Diver0001 for the advice, all of it is helpful in my way of helping decide if this is for me or not.

I did a google.com search as well for the mares hub and found some reviews of it that were all positive, some other dive forums where the reviews were half and half, some thought it great, others didnt like it at all, although some of those who didnt like it havent used it they said, and one particular web page that i can only describe as a hatred towards mares and the hub were expressed.

All this information is helpful in me making my decision so i thank you. I didnt know about the splitters and the problems that could arise so i will do some research on them.

Im not sure if anyone on the board actually owns one, but i am guessing someone out there does. Im sure it is a small part of the dive community that does own one, and it would be great to talk to someone who does eventually as well.
Even if the guys from mares are around and can dispell any myths that would also be great for me.

Thank you again all, this information is helpful to me.

tracy

Hi Tracy,

Sorry for the delayed reply, but I and the others who monitor this have been out of the office.

The HUB is a product that we continue to sell, not big volume but consistant. Most on this board will continue to speak negatively about it, but if you find the few who actually use it they are generally happy with it.

As for your specific case of Cold Water, in this case I would reccomend going with seperate products. The Proton Ice Extreme would be excellent and I would reccomend you try the Kaila BC for Women.

Thanks,

Phil

Hi Phil.

Thank you for the response. Ive noticed as ive searched the web people have either be completely positive or completely negative views about the hub. Myself i think it is a great step forward for the diving world and moving scuba diving in that forward direction that it needs.

If i do not get the hub, i was looking into the mares proton ice extreme and the ice extreme occy, which ive seen at some online shops but couldnt find on the north america mares site in the occy section, and the dragon vt that Diver0001 suggested.
I did some research on the web site last night and decided if i go seperately, the dragon AT looks like a winner to me.

tracy

The Proton Ice Extreme Octo can be ordered by any of the dealers, it is a limited item as it is more expensive than a proton metal octo (which may also suit your needs). It is more expensive due to the flouropolimer coatings (It is designed for US Navy and is on the A.N.U. list)

The dragon AT is an excellent choice, the airtrim system is really superior to a traditional inflator.

Phil

Hi Phil.

Thank you for the info about the occy.

Ive decided to go with the proton ice extreme reg with the proton ice extreme occy, as well as the dragon AT bcd, as i like the air trim, and if i can i will no doubt put an air lock on the bcd.

Thank you everyone for the great info and the help.

tracy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom