Mares Icon HD...is it worth the money ? and trouble

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I hesitate to comment on the Icon HD, since I've only recently been using it. I only have 4 dives on it, but so far, it's a great replacement for the unnamed computer that it replaces. I've had zero issues with it so far. Yes . . . the USB connection is finicky and could have been better designed, but it works and there is a battery icon that pops up to show when you have a positive connection.

Pairing has NOT been a problem and I have not lost a connection during a dive. Could it happen in the future? Sure, but it hasn't yet.

The new screen layout with ver. 4.1 is less cluttered and I like it. Let's not exaggerate, the tank/gas remaining part of the screen really only takes up about the right most 25% of the screen, but the screen is big enough that that hardly seems to be an issue--at least with me.

I charged it up the night before diving and by the end of the day, after 2 hours of diving, it was still at 84 % battery. As long as you have access to a computer or power outlet, even a live-aboard should not be an issue. Let's face it, a big, bright, color screen is a battery hog. You either need to re-charge or invest in a computer that uses replaceable batteries.

Version 4.1 does project deep stops. They are not mandatory, but they are still there. The first dive I did with it gave a deep stop of 47 feet for two minutes, so I know it's there.

I'm not overly fond of the RGBM algorithm, but if you set it to a P0 personal factor, it is very close to the more widely used Buhlmann Z algorithms. I can live with that.

It's not perfect, but for those of us with old eyes that like a big color screen and AI, it works--at least for me. I may fall out of love with it as time goes by and I get more dives on it. I still like the Uemis that I used for the last 5 years better, but I'm thinking that the Icon is going to work out great for me.

My wife's is the new and upgraded software, still many issues. I am also not totally against it, however, when you pay $1500 for a computer it better work right and the manufacturer better be on point with fixing it, which they weren't. They made me buy a new transmitter at the start of the pairing issues, which have always existed abd still do. Computer would be awesome if it worked right all the time and had better battery life...

Deep stops worked fine on my wife's...but only if she went into deco.

Deep stops should always be there without a deco obligation... Also if you diving rgb table deep stops should be taken seriously, but still optional. On the 4x software I have yet to note one and they also don't get logged one way or the other which bothers me.

I don't mean to be super negative though. I'm actually liking mine quite a bit and find it easy on the eyes. Just as somebody who has written a lot of design spec, a swing and miss irritates me :).

All events and warnings should be passable and show in logs.

Deep sleep near zero power usage should be possible through user action... It only Ned's start doing pressure checks and what not after waking up. This need for constant battery munching is flawed design and u think leads to a lot negative perceptions on the battery.
After having to constantly charge the Lynx and work with almost always ready to break tray on that I'll live happily with us charging and finicky but risk free connection point.

I gave the newer hd icon black, not sure if that makes a difference but no connection issues so far over or under.

I agree with conservative comment, I moved to the middle setting for one dive and was shocked how quick it went to deco. Fortunately the computer in my head worked fine, more or less :wink:.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also have the Black, so maybe there have been some improvements? As to the deep stops, according to the manual they are generated only as you approach the No Stop Time, so unless you are close (how close? who knows), you may never see them.

I don't disagree with you, griffon, on the battery. It should no drain if unused for two weeks, or even two months. Mares needs to rethink that design. For me though, given the choice of having to frequently recharge it, or keep opening it up and replacing disposable batteries, I prefer the former--no issue with pinching an O-ring and flooding it.

Ditto. I have one for sale also. Seems like a nice machine but the battery consumption while not in use greatly limits my ability to carry as I am a volunteer search and rescue diver for the local sheriff's dept. I need a computer to be ready whenever I am needed and since I keep my equipment in the car at all times, this unit does not qualify. Only used as a backup for my dive instruction classes. My computer is about 1 year old so it is relatively fresh. Contact privately if anyone interested. Great deal for someone.

It probable would be a less critical fault if it charged faster too. My iPhone 5 can go to about 80% in a hour, where the mares will move about 5%. Not sure if it's high re stance issue or they caped it at .5amp. Electrical engineering is not my thing :p, but certainly compounds with drain issue.

My wife's, even with the new software has lost connection in the past during a dive....but I fixed that by putting it on a 6" hose and letting it hang over her shoulder...also keeps people from trying to pick the tank up by the sensor as well.

Rw, you are probably right that it is actually generating the deep stops only when you get near NDL and beyond, I have only noticed it when she goes into Deco though. Oh yes I completely forgot you need to leave it plugged in too or it will die after a few days or so and that it takes a long time to charge.

man looks like its a problem owning one.

No computer is perfect, it has se nice features and some compromises. End of the day if you need a big readable modern screen that is air interfered, it's a decent option. All the other choices have their own set of compromises as well. I like the cobalt quite a bit, if I just could of stuck that on my fist I would have been a happy camper :).

Nope...the Petrel is perfect....more perfect now that the 2nd generation has come out. Just kidding of course.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom