Mares Instinct 52 DOA... I believe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

USMC_DS1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just rec'd a Mares Instinct 52 from LeisurePro... wanted a light weight regulator for travel that could be serviced globally. At ~2.5 lbs in total with a skeletonized like 1st stage and a tri-metal 2nd stage I was hoping that it would be the perfect reg for diving from the tropics(Caribbean and Hawaii) to the semi-cold waters off California. Of course, like anything rushed it never works out in the end when it comes to dive gear. I tested the Mares reg at home on a steel 72 tank before packing it for my trip to Hawaii this week but it keep shuddering with every breath. So I tried to find root cause of the issue. I connected a different 2nd stage - a Mares Air Control Integrated Octo and then an old Oceanic 2nd stage after that. They all performed well with the Mares MR 52 1st stage exception the Instinct 52 2nd stage which I understand is really an Instinct 12 2nd stage. I then tried the Instinct 2nd stage on a Sherwood Maximus regulator 1st stage. The shuddering followed the Instinct 2nd stage, however, the Maximus 2nd stage breathed as easy as ever. I believe that the 2nd stage Instinct is out of tune and the root cause of my issues but I'd like insight from others JIC I may have missed an easy fix. BTW, I did have the all the other 2nd stages I tried connected to the DFC port on the MR 52 as well for optimal performance.

Regarding the trip to Hawaii... I'm bringing my Poseidon Jetstream MK3 instead and LP is shipping me another Instinct 52 to my brother's house. If all goes well a functional Instinct 52 will intercept me in time for a few dives and LP will refund me for the defective Instinct 52 I just shipped back to them. Also looking fwd to testing out the Poseidon on a few shore dives... it's built like a tank but I'll just have to remember to move that 2nd stage switch to avoid any free flow. BTW, does any see an issue with using the Mares Air Control with the Jetstream. TIA and safe diving.

We're going to be closed here for a few days over the weekend, and again next weekend, but if you need any help from the LeisurePro side of things, please don't hesitate to email me and let me know what I can do. Sorry it's shuddering like that, I know I've had a few regs that do that above water but obviously I can't tell how bad it is without giving it a shot myself (which I won't be able to do since I'm not physically in the store). Hopefully the replacement works flawlessly!

Nick, thanks for the offer to help. Hopefully I did not send back a perfectly good reg. I've had other regs shudder as well but none of them were quite this drastic to the point of shutting off/constricting airflow. Don't know if other forum members have experienced this issue with their Instinct 52 as well. I did not want to chance it underwater so thought that sending it back was the best course of action. I'll post again re how the replacement reg performs.

OK, I rec'd the other Instinct 52 from LP. This one breathes properly with only the slightest flutter towards the end of a deep breath... a night and day improvement! In comparison the 1st unit I rec'd would shut off mid-breath then allow more air only when you stop sucking on the reg for air and start again. Taking the new unit out for a beach dive this morning. Mahalo.

Had a great shore dive with the Instinct 52 a few days back... it breathed well from the shallows of the shores on down to 49' over a dive time of 48mins. Here's a short video clip of a sea turtle I came across on the way back to shore. Honu 27SEP13a - YouTube

---------- Post added September 30th, 2013 at 09:37 PM ----------

Got a email from LP re the refund on the DOA reg today... one week after LP had rec'd it. Very happy with LP and how they conduct business... got a replacement reg in time to try out on my dive trip in Hawaii. Will be buying more from LP. And the Mares Instinct 52 may well be my knew favorite travel reg.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom