Mares LiquidSkin mask review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hoyden

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
I finally got to dive my new liquidskin mask Sunday and Monday. On Sunday I wore it for 2 1/2 hours in the pool - it was dry and comfortable, but I was still reserving judgment since my mask problems usually don't show up until the third or fourth dive of the day. I have gone through lots of masks in my search for a mask that will stay dry for an entire day of diving - I have tried ScubaPro frameless, several Omer models, Akona, Cressi, Oceanic, Ocean Master, Halcyon, Mares X-Vision and X-vision mid, and more off brands than I can count. I had settled on using a Mares X-vision mid with an Omer Alien as a back-up - the Alien is actually a little drier, but I like the larger field of vision that the X-vision offers so when I heard about the new Liquidskin x-vision I was looking forward to trying it. It absolutely lived up to the advertising hype. I did 5 saltwater dives yesterday (total in-water time was probably 3 1/2 hours) and it was just as dry on the last one as on the first. It was also the most comfortable mask that I have worn. It was well worth the $90ish price tag if you are having leaking mask problems or fit problems. And yes, I can clear my mask with no trouble, I just hate wasting dive time doing it constantly.

YMMV,

Jackie

Disclaimer: I occasionally work part-time at a dive shop that sells Mares masks.

so it's really softer than the normal x-vision? how did the silicone compare to the scubapro frameless?

thanks for the report...

Jack

JackSpearo:
so it's really softer than the normal x-vision? how did the silicone compare to the scubapro frameless?

thanks for the report...

Jack

It is really softer than the regular X-vision and softer than the ScubaPro - more importantly, it was dry compared to either of them.

Jackie

partridge:
Anybody use this mask with a bit of stubble on their upper lip?

More than just a little stubble...Hey, the wife likes it and it keeps me warm when I jog in the winter up here. I have had no problems with leaking and my facial hair - which is more than I can say for most other masks I have used. The mask fits great, feels comfortable, and has a very low volume which makes it easy to see things around you (great visibility). I bought three of them - one for me, one for my wife, and a spare for my dry suit pocket. Cheers!

All I have to say is I wish I had your dive gear budget!!! My subframe leaks a bit too but blew it all on that mask. I guess instore fitting is not fail-safe!!

I tried the X-Vision, mid, liquidskin, and Demon in my pool a week ago. While they were all well made and gave good vision, for my face, all of them had a slight leak that started as a trickle into the nose cavity. I had afternoon shadow, but no serious facial hair. My old ScubaPro ClearVu2 doesn't have that issue.

Gotta say, however, that the Liquidskin was the most comfortable! :D It was noticably softer on the face than the regular x-vision.

Regards,

Gary

I usually have issues with mask leakage when I smile underwater (which I am constantly doing). Has that issue been solved with the liquidskin, or does that still happen?

Oh, and Gary, if you are going to Oahu, i can give you the name of a friend of mine out there who'd love to take you diving.

Well my wife and I finally got a couple dives in yesterday with the liquidskin mask.
We both absolutely LOVED it!!!!!!!!!!! It feel like you have almost nothing on you face.
I have a FULL MUSTACHE and had no issues with leakage even when I turned upside down. We had Tusa splendive 4 mask before and the vision with this mask is a vast inproverment. 1 other feature we liked was the strap clips which you can just push forward to loosen the mask at the end of your dive allowing the mask to fall around your neck. The strap clip also allows you to leave the strap loose making it much easier to put your mask on. We also had NO MASK ring on our face after either dive. The skirt is so soft it tends to move n and out when breathing inside your mask, which at first takes some getting use to.

I our opinion Mares has a WINNER here and I think this new matrial for the skirt will become the industry standard.

I want to thank all of you for the feedback. We are very excited about Liquidskin technology, but hearing it from divers is what really matters. The response has been tremendous, each month we have been receiving big shipments into our US warehouse, but by mid month we run out. We hope to build some inventory as soon as possible to fill all the demand.

Thanks again for the positive feedback.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom