Mares Nemo Computer <Any one have this>

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yipiekaya

Reaction score
Mares Nemo Computer

Any one have this computer. , it looks slick is it reliable, ez to change the battery,, any feed back would be nice...

Yup,
My wife got it for me last year, have about 25 dives on it so far.

Haven't changed the battery and don't think I would, Mares recommends that you have a certified Mares repair center do it.

I have had no problems with it and in general like it.
Some general comments though.
Cons
1] haven't been able to find out a way to get it to show surface intervals, it only shows a countdown timer to desat. Probably not a problem for most divers, but I like to back up my computer with RDP calculations.

2] On the surface and even under water the icons are a little small, the numbers though are easilly readable.

3] To use it with a 7mm wet suit you have to use the band extender. I am forever afraid of looseing this thing.

4] Menus are not to bad, though I often still have to hunt around a bit especially when using the log book.

5] Though I don't have one, from what I have read and experienced with a friends the IRIS download thingy is ..... shall we say less than reliable.

Pros:
1] Looks cool
2] Works for air and nitrox
3] Latest algorthim (includes deep stops)
4] Can use as a normal watch
5] Rather Conservative tables that can be made even more conservative with personal factor settings (PF1,PF2,PF3).

Overall:
When my wife got it for me I didn't have my own gear so it was great for traveling, were I normally would rent equipment. Now that I have my own equipment I probably wouldn't buy it. I would now go with an air integrated or a wrist mount that is nice and big. I'm not a watch type of guy so the ability to wear it as a watch doesn't have much effect on me.
Will I get rid of it - probabaly not, at least until I have to get the battery replaced. Depending on the cost of this, it might make more sense to just buy a dive dedicated computer.

I just got mine and logged 12 dives in the Florida Keys.

I did mixed Air & Nitrox diving - depending on depth. It worked great and I thought it was very readable.

As for the surface intervals, the logbook function shows when the dives start, and their duration. So with a little math...you can calculate the SIs for table calcs. I did all this usually during dinner - it was a bit of work.

My only complaint is that the IRIS PC interface isn't USB and I haven't gotten it to work yet. Still hopeful. It's a great concept (wireless data transfers).

yipiekaya:
Mares Nemo Computer

Any one have this computer. , it looks slick is it reliable, ez to change the battery,, any feed back would be nice...

I recently purchased one and like it a lot. I'm a new diver (Cold water - Canada) and have 13 dives on it now. I like the wrist mount and size even though I do need the extending strap for my wetsuit. I find it very easy to see and have no complaints with it in the water. The menu system is fairly easy once you get used to how the computer is expecting you to interface with it and in my gloves I have no problems at all pushing whatever buttons I need.

I purchased a small "pelican" case and cut foam in the shap of the device so I have a solid dry case for when I am not wearing it. It is great since you need to take the computer off to get out of your suit and I want to place it somwhere that it will not get hit, scratched, etc. (also a place to store the extending strap if I wear the computer as a watch - I can keep the case with my dive gear etc.)

One point, while the manual provides instructions on changing the battery, they do recommend that the battery can be replaced at your service centre, I would point out though that this is a lot better than sending it away to be replaced...

In my case, it was the best deal, with the right shop, among the wrist mounts I was interested in, so I picked it up, but I was also looking at the Suunto Stinger and would likely have considered other wrist mounts, but I was looking for something small and compact.

I have a question concering Mares Nemo, is there any need to press anything underwater? Or like in Suunto Vyper everything what you need is on the main screen?

Cheers,
Sebastian.

I think you've got everything you NEED on screen while under water:

current depth
no-deco time remaining w/ icon also
duration of dive shown in analog minutes on edge of face
%O2 and %CNS (for Nitrox diving)

You can press the bottom button to toggle the "display bar" section between:

%02 & %CNS
or Temp. & Duration of Dive (digital)
or Temp. & actual time

You can also press the top button to get see Max Depth and if you hold it in for 2 seconds, it will activate the backlight.

Ray

stiwi:
I have a question concering Mares Nemo, is there any need to press anything underwater? Or like in Suunto Vyper everything what you need is on the main screen?

Cheers,
Sebastian.

We had one of the titanium ones that the back light fritzed out on... And they let me replace it for the customer out of store stock... but aside from that (and the nagging, "I can't get the downloader to work") they have been very trouble free for us.

I've had the Nemo for about 9 months now, have about 50 dives on it. It's been faaannnntastic. I have no complaints.
As for the main gripes I hear about:
The numbers on the screen are actually quite large, especially the most important info, ie time remaining at depth.

it's true, it doesn't show surface interval, but you don't really need it as the dive planner on the watch will tell you how much time you can go down for your next dive at whatever depth, and it constantly adjusts itself while you're offgassing (for example, when you first get out after dive one, it might say you could do 20 mins at 50', and then if you check it five minutes later it'll tell you 25 mins at 50', etc.). For logging purposes, you can easily do the math from the computer's logbook, just look at dive start times and do some quick arithmatic.

You don't have to press any buttons underwater other than the backlight, unless you want to change current dive time display to actual time (ie six minutes into your dive or to four o'clock pm), or check what was your max depth so far.

I find that it's four buttons are very easy to follow and the menu system is very simple... i fiddled with it for ten minutes and figured it all out. with a quick review of the manual i was 100% certain of all the functions.

It doesn't seem to be too scratch prone, although mine does have a few ( i do a lot of dives in springs and caves though, lots of rocks ). even though, it hasn't made the display any harder to read.

the rgbm is awesome.... safe, but not too conservative, which I like. If you don't like that, it's very easy to adjust the watch to a safer set of calculations, you just change your personal safety preference up or down depending on where you want to sit on the algorithm.

Lastly, it's a freaking sweet design... very flat to the wrist, and looks great out of, and in the water. :)

that's all i have for now... but if you have any questions about the nemo let me know, i'll be happy to answer.

I'm pretty happy with my Nemo. The buttons are very straightforward. You press one button, it tells you which menu you are in and another button for "enter". It's just like running MS Word (i.e, drag your mouse to the toolbar and click the section/action that you want) .

Off water, its also a weekend watch.

I think you folks may have just convinced me to buy a Nemo. I currently own an M1 but want to give it to my wife and buy a Nemo for myself. By the way those of you that are struggling with the IRIS interface. It took me over a year before I got it operational. I always seemed to have port conflicts. Recently I purschase a USB adapter and plugged it in, and to my suprise everything is now working. I still keep checking the Mares website looking for a software patch to fix their problems but Mares doesn't seem to be in any hurry, and their support for these types of issues is nonexistent. I talked to my LDS and they called the Mares representative and he indicated no knowledge of any issues with the IRIS. Maybe that's because there is no place to send complaints. I like the M1 and how it operates, but am very unhappy with the company.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom