Mares Nemo Computer <Any one have this>

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jerryg:
I think you folks may have just convinced me to buy a Nemo. I currently own an M1 but want to give it to my wife and buy a Nemo for myself. By the way those of you that are struggling with the IRIS interface. It took me over a year before I got it operational. I always seemed to have port conflicts. Recently I purschase a USB adapter and plugged it in, and to my suprise everything is now working. I still keep checking the Mares website looking for a software patch to fix their problems but Mares doesn't seem to be in any hurry, and their support for these types of issues is nonexistent. I talked to my LDS and they called the Mares representative and he indicated no knowledge of any issues with the IRIS. Maybe that's because there is no place to send complaints. I like the M1 and how it operates, but am very unhappy with the company.

Good choice! As far as the iris interface... it takes a few minutes (not longer than thirty) to figure out the right placement for the infrared transfer, but after the first time or two, you know what it's looking for and get it on the first or second try. I know with a lot of folks i've talked to, that's their issue. If it's an actual software problem, I've had no problems.

KangarooSeatbelt:
Good choice! As far as the iris interface... it takes a few minutes (not longer than thirty) to figure out the right placement for the infrared transfer, but after the first time or two, you know what it's looking for and get it on the first or second try. I know with a lot of folks i've talked to, that's their issue. If it's an actual software problem, I've had no problems.
There is a thread on this board that is over 15 pages long devoted to issues with the IRIS. Mine has worked for brief periods then just 'bonked' out. Some people seem to be able to just plug it in and it runs. Others, like myself, have had nothing but difficulty. Mine finally started working correctly after I went in and rebuilt my entire machine AND purchased a USB converter. I know the problem with mine was IRQ conflicts that just were not simple to resolve. I probably had to much software on my computer. It seems to work now, but who knows what will happen when I try again. Glad yours is working well and I hope it continues.

Jerryg:
There is a thread on this board that is over 15 pages long devoted to issues with the IRIS. Mine has worked for brief periods then just 'bonked' out. Some people seem to be able to just plug it in and it runs. Others, like myself, have had nothing but difficulty. Mine finally started working correctly after I went in and rebuilt my entire machine AND purchased a USB converter. I know the problem with mine was IRQ conflicts that just were not simple to resolve. I probably had to much software on my computer. It seems to work now, but who knows what will happen when I try again. Glad yours is working well and I hope it continues.

This is just a hunch, but it sounds like you might have a banana stuck in your a:\ drive.

yipiekaya:
Mares Nemo Computer

Any one have this computer. , it looks slick is it reliable, ez to change the battery,, any feed back would be nice...

Hi Yipekaya ... I would have to echo several of the other posters that, while the Nemo is attractive and functional (though maybe not the best in the water) ... the IRIS interface is far from reliable ... i have yet to get mine to upload a single time. Unless you are looking to transcribe your dive profiles onto your dive slate or waterproof notebook, don't get too YipiekaOoooo on the computer download functionality ....
After attempting to interface with two different Windows XP computers and trying three different port connectors (um, by the way, that has added up to an extra $108 bucks), I finally dug out my old windows 98 laptop to see if the IRIS would talk via it's 9pin serial port ... no luck.

Did I mention the backlight also has yet to light up on my Nemo?

I'm looking to pick up an Aeris ELITE AI QD .... should have got it to begin with.

-Estelle
Brilliant idea #9 ... flavored Nitrox ;-)

KangarooSeatbelt:
This is just a hunch, but it sounds like you might have a banana stuck in your a:\ drive.

You got your IRIS to work via USB connector?
Howwwwwww?
Do Tell ........... PLEASE.
On my third trip to CompUSA, i gave in and bought this $45 9pin serial to USB converter that has made my IRIS go from looking like a blue ladybug >>> to one of those rhino-beetles (you know with the ultra-ling snout?) ... and yet ... still no upload.

any hints/tips will be much appreciated!

-Estelle

blowin_bubbles:
Howwwwwww?
On my third trip to CompUSA, i gave in and bought this $45 9pin serial to USB converter that has made my IRIS go from looking like a blue ladybug >>> to one of those rhino-beetles (you know with the ultra-ling snout?) ... and yet ... still no upload.

-Estelle

I've been using the serial connector. I a lot of the difficulties I've heard of is from people who're using a USB connector, but Mares has said repeatedly that it shouldn't be a problem. Who knows.

blowin_bubbles:
Howwwwwww?

-Estelle

I finally got my IRIS to work with a serial-to-USB connector. Turns out there were two tricks to watch out for:

1.) Make sure that you load the driver software that comes with the serial-to-USB connector. Don't let Windows select one for you. This messed me up for days, and I finally de-installed the device and driver via Device Manager (control panel -> system -> hardware -> device manager) where it should show up as a COM port.

2.) Once you have the correct driver installed, make sure that the COM port assigned to it by Windows is 1-4. (You can check and re-assign via Device Manager as noted above.) Mine originally picked COM8, which is higher than the IRIS software allows.

3.) Make sure that you have the latest IRIS software (2.2) which includes the NEMO. This can be downloaded from the MARES website (http://www.mares.com/catalogo/scheda.asp?idPagina=67&lingua=eng)

4.) When you run the IRIS software, make sure that the COM port # is the same as the one you selected for the USB connector.

Should work after all that.

Ray.

Yeaaaaaa - we have lift-off :dazzler1:
Finally, the NEMO and IRIS have made friends and downloaded. Cool.
RSTICK's notes from 8-10-05 are correct....
The serial adapter to USB connector is the one that works.
(I should mention that i was never able to connect with the one guy at Mares who provides tech support on the NEMO - but i assume he's diving, so, we'll forgive him!)

For those of you that don't live anywhere near a mares dealer, or at least a good one, I wanted to give you a head's up.
I went for the nemo, despite the fact that there was no Mares dealer around because I liked it's features enough, and figured I could always have it sent off for repairs.
BUT, like a month after I got it, my mom was looking at it and somehow broke one of the arms of one of the wrist straps. She won't tell me what happened, but I assume it wasn't the nemo's fault, because I continued diving with it for almost a year with only one of the arms attached, and had no problems (I dummy-corded it to my wrist in case the other side broke).
However, trying to get a new strap was a huge headache. I left my name, number, and what I wanted with every mares dealer I visited from the Florida Keys all the way up through central florida, to the west coast, and up north. Noone ever called me back, despite the promises of "we'll call you in a few days." I tried to get a hold of mares, impossible, and they never emailed me back.
Finally, after about eight months, I talked to larry from www.scubatoys.com, who is a regular member here, and he managed to actually get me one.
However, it was $75!!! And he sold it to me at cost b/c he was so shocked at the price!

Anyway, just be careful if you don't live near a decent mares dealer.

I will end with two comments:

1) The nemo is still worth it, despite my troubles. Awesome computer.

2) Larry and ScubaToys are the cats pajamas.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom