Mares Nemo Wide or another computer for decompression?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Balaklava

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
At this point am am a recreational diver and I want to buy a computer, but also I want to take the TDI course "Advanced Nitrox and deco procedures" in 1-2 years. I want to know if Mares Nemo with its latest 3 gas switching upgrade software is a good choice in my case. On eBay I can get a new one for around $300, so I also want to know what other computer I can buy for a similar price. Also If I buy Nemo wide, what would be a good computer for a back up, I mean a computer that has a very similar conservative factor?

Balaklava,

The Nemo Wide is a fine 3 gas dive computer that is more than enough for a diver starting his advanced nitrox/deco procedures with TDI. I used the same computer when I took those same classes and still use the Nemo Wide as my primary dive computer. That being said, you should not be counting on using any dive computer as the primary resource for decompression diving. In the TDI deco class you will learn to "cut tables", write them out on your slate (with additional tables for time over your dive plan) and then dive per your profile. Certainly the Nemo Wide (or any other dive computer) can be used to help with deco should you completly miss your planned profile. May I suggest that you look into decompression software such as GAP, V-Planner or iDeco?

With regards to a backup computer, I use another Nemo Wide. I chose that route because they both use the same software, computer model (RGBM) and I know that if one goes down, I will easily know how to use the other. That being said, even two computers positioned side by side may not read the same.

Regards,
Ltstanfo

Back
Top Bottom