Mares Origin Sport BCD Keeps Dropping Weight Pockets!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Max Speed

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
The weight pockets have dropped out four times when the release handles lightly snag on something. VERY lightly snags. Twice when the handles brushed against a guideline. Twice when I brushed against something during wreck entry.

One resulted in a barely controlable ascent. Fortunately from 15'! The other times I was able to grab something to hold myself down or was under an overhead cover! I can foresee a situation where this could be dangerous.

Really didn't buy this BCD to practice small object recovery!

The local dealer says: "never heard of the problem".

I find it hard to believe it's just my BCD. The fasteners appear to be in good condition.

I have dropped the weight in the pockets from 12 to 4 pounds and started using a belt again but the last inadvertent release occured after the change.

Is there a fix? Add on velcro? Recall? Otherwise I may put this BCD on E-bay and look elswhere.

Some owners of BCD's with this system have reported that the BCD came with the wrong type of weight pockets... People have gotten the pockets changed which solved their problems. You might want to contact your dealer again to see what he can do for ya.

If Zak comes by this thread, he might be able to shine some light on the situation.

Took it into dealer and discovered that a different set of inserts were MUCH more difficult to unlatch. Waiting on management decision.

What does waiting on management decision mean?

Thanks,

Zak

The owner of the shop had to be contacted and I had to leave the BCD with them for his inspection. I expect a response this afternoon.

Presumably the decision will be that the insert latches are not to spec. I will post the results.

Any news on the pockets so far?

Any news on the pockets so far?

Two new pocket inserts were provided by my local shop. They are *much* more secure than the originals. I am much happier but still a bit cautious around anything I might brush the release handle against.

Good to know, just like I thought. Good luck on your new pockets!

I started using electrical tape around the pockets to keep the weights stationary in the pockets, had a couple of lost pockets early on that the tape has rectified. The tape does not interfere with the clips so they can be removed as required in an emergency.

Back
Top Bottom