Mares Pegasus vs Aeris 5 Oceans

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LittleGoat

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am trying to decide between the two of them and I would like some opinions from people who have used them. Either of them.

I am looking for a back-inflate BCD with minimum pockets and weight integration. Both are fairly highly rated (the Aeris 5 Oceans wins this category though) and not breaking the budget (The Mares Pegasus wins this one).

I would like some honest, constructive feedback (ie, NOT "Jackets rule!", "Go BP/W and never look back" or "They both suck"). Please help a new person out who is looking to the more experienced for guidance. Thanks in advance.

I have an Aeris 5 Oceans. The fabric isn't as tough as the one used on the Scuba Pro Knighthawk but on par with the Seaquest Balance. It's very stable underwater and easy to walk with a loaded tank top side. It has suffcient D-rings to attach your gauges, octopus, & a dive light but not much more. I love that it's very streamlined and keeps you upright at the surface (doesn't push me forward and I only use 14lbs with a 7mm suit).

The weight pouches aren't as easy to load as I anticipated (friction between weight pouch and pouch holder). The corrugated inflator hose is slightly too short and I would prefer longer shoulder straps (not the padded ones but the straps you pull to snug the bcd). It would make donning the BCD easier. Also, when loaded with weights the waist straps do not contour your waist line smoothly, creating a gap between your stomach and the center waist buckle.

When you try on the BCD, I absolutely recommend that you load the weight pouches (with the amount of lead you normally use) and see how it fits you. For met at least, it's versatile enough to use in cold and warm water.

Claude

I neither have dived the one nor the other. But both seem to be almost identical. The Pegasus has a crotch strap, the 5 Oceans not - that would be a point in favor of the Pegasus.

Think you can go for the price or the design:wink:.

I have an Aeris 5 Oceans. ... It's very stable underwater and easy to walk with a loaded tank top side. It has suffcient D-rings to attach your gauges, octopus, & a dive light but not much more. I love that it's very streamlined and keeps you upright at the surface (doesn't push me forward and I only use 14lbs with a 7mm suit).

The weight pouches aren't as easy to load as I anticipated (friction between weight pouch and pouch holder). The corrugated inflator hose is slightly too short and I would prefer longer shoulder straps (not the padded ones but the straps you pull to snug the bcd). It would make donning the BCD easier. Also, when loaded with weights the waist straps do not contour your waist line smoothly, creating a gap between your stomach and the center waist buckle.

When you try on the BCD, I absolutely recommend that you load the weight pouches (with the amount of lead you normally use) and see how it fits you. For met at least, it's versatile enough to use in cold and warm water.

I've got a 5 Oceans and I will concur with all of this. Trying it on with the weights is excellent advice. Mine is a large, and I find it fits a little smaller than my Zeagle Ranger in large. Seems to me that it's always a good idea to try on fitted gear before you buy.

I have a Pegasus and have been more than happy with the BC. The construction is excellent and the fabric looks new after almost a year (50 dives or so).

I will say that I am in the process of getting rid of the Pegasus, and it is for one reason only. The Pegasus does not fit securely on me at the waistband. For me, it is not about the integrated weights, but that I am an in-between size. I am tall and thin and the straps do not tighten enough for me. So at depth, the BC is too loose around my waist and it tends to ride high if I don't use the crotch straps, which I do not like to use.

Besides that, I really like the Pegasus.

So at depth, the BC is too loose around my waist and it tends to ride high if I don't use the crotch straps, which I do not like to use.

... that will happen with almost any BC if you don't use a crotch-strap (that's at least my experience):wink:.

For the price of the Pegasus, I would rather get the Zeagle express tech...

My only problem with the Express Tech is the lift. I dive the Pacific Northwest so I tend to be weighted down. I don't think that 24lbs of lift is adequate given that I have that much lead on me (7mm john and jacket).

According to Scott Zeagle, there is a 35lbs option NetDoc was diving with a 44lbs version.

SangP

Back
Top Bottom