Mares Puck deco alarms

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver Dan 28

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
After a minor infraction the mares puck went into gauge mode. So it did what it was supposed to do and I sat out the next 24 hours. I'm happy I have this computer, it's gotten me from my certification last year, to where i am today in my diving. However I'll be replacing this very soon. I'm looking for a computer that flashes since I wear a hood and can't hear the puck. I'm wanting it to flash deco warnings, and other warnings, if the Mares had this I wouldn't have had to sit out of the other dives. Also something with a large display would be nice. I'm thinking about the oceananic pro 2.1. I'm not a tech guy just like getting wet and enjoying the silence. I am an avid diver and dive almost every weekend so something that is nicer than the Puck (which is about everything). I don't need air intagration but it'd be nice. It does need to be nitrox compatible though.
Any suggestions?

okay, its my turn to say it - Petrel. The screen is all so readable, color/flashing indicators, and very intuitive. It will also do more if you desire. The recreational EANx setting is very good.

..... I'm looking for a computer ..... with a large display ....
How much large of a display are you looking for?

About the size of a business card. My biggest complaint about the Puck is not having a flashing warning, and the back light sucks in general.

So the computer got bent and not the diver!!!! Lucky for you.
Why the computer got locked up after a dive? Usually because the user forgot to "clear" it.
Do you really understood all the info given by the Puck? I doubt it.

I understand it perfectly well. I had the settings set ultra conservative for this series of dives. The back light sucks and the alarms are worthless. This was an altitude dive, and a night dive.
The only way to clear the puck is by removing the battery, (which is really cheating yourself) or wait for the 24 hours.
I was asking for suggestions on a better computer so I can make the Puck a back up. Maybe I should call the scuba police and tell them I went into deco, well below the recommend depth limits, with an open water cert?? And lived to tell about it.. or maybe someone has a suggestion for a better computer. Not looking for armchair instructors.

I'm looking for a computer that flashes since I wear a hood and can't hear the puck. I'm wanting it to flash deco warnings, and other warnings, if the Mares had this I wouldn't have had to sit out of the other dives…. I am an avid diver and dive almost every weekend so something that is nicer than the Puck (which is about everything). It does need to be nitrox compatible though.
From my experience the Puck does not give an audible warning when nearing or going into deco (the manual say it does but I do not recall hearing it), it does has an alarm for assent rate and if you stray in depth when on deco stop, and this can be heard easily through a 5mm hood. It shows in big numbers the remaining ND time and when in deco the first deco stop depth and that stops deco time. If you keep an eye on the computer then all the information is readily available. If you don’t keep an eye on the computer well that’s probably not great practice. Regular checks of gas and NDL are important for safety particularly towards the end of the planned dive as the gas and NDL get low, moving to a shallower depth or surfacing can avoid problems.

I agree that the back-light is tedious with the Puck, 4 second press for 4 seconds of light. But it will stay on while you navigate the screens, keep pressing buttons. I find I can read using a torch at an oblique angle.

If you got ‘locked’ out you must have surfaced without doing the stop. This was probably only a few minutes at 3m. Did you not have enough gas for the stop?

Irrespective of the computer you get you will need to monitor it by looking at it.

---------- Post added May 5th, 2015 at 12:09 PM ----------

I was asking for suggestions on a better computer so I can make the Puck a back up.... Not looking for armchair instructors.

A better computer wont help if you do not look at it or do the stops it proposes!

Maybe you would be better diving with a buddy that checks you computer and tells you what to do! Just a thought.

So the computer got the blame when the user ignored the deco obligation!! Pity the computer could not speak out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom