Mares Puck Pro vs Suunto Zoop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EL Pistoffo

Contributor
Reaction score
Planning on getting 2 DC. We dive nitrox and only require basic DC features. Price is a factor, so keeping to lower cost DC (under $300). So i'm undecided between to Mares Puck Pro and the Suunto Zoop.

Mares Puck Pro-$219

Suunto Zoop-$249

I'm leaning towards the Mares for price and I think that dealing with a single button UW can be easier than trying to press the smaller buttons of the Zoop. I deal with a GoPro so having too few buttons is not a deal breaker.

Thanks

Dont' know the Mares. The Zoop is very good DC and so I assume is the Mares. You are $$ aware, go with the cheaper one. Either way you will be happy.

I got a puck pro for xmas and it's great. I haven't dove it yet but I learned all of the menus. It's really intuitive and really easy to use. The screen is quite big and easy to read. I think that the information is displayed nicely and again easy to understand.
1 button that is big and red!

I have not use the viper so I can't compare.

I use the Zoop, and I don't use the buttons while diving. Display tells me everything I want to know during the dive.

Otherwise I find it very intuitive to use.

I don't like the feel of the buttons though.

I think I would go for an Aladin 2G if I hadn't the Zoop already, as that uses infrared instead of the expensive data cable, but as you buy two computers you obviously only need one cable. If you actually want to download dive data to begin with.

I just saw the Puck Pro has deep stop functionality. The Zoop does not have that. There are some interesting discussions in this forum about deep stops, if you wonder if you need that or not.

The Zoop also doesn't have a stop watch or a backlight (phosphorescent instead). I have missed neither so far, but might be important to some.

I use the Zoop, and I don't use the buttons while diving. Display tells me everything I want to know during the dive.

Otherwise I find it very intuitive to use.

I don't like the feel of the buttons though.

I think I would go for an Aladin 2G if I hadn't the Zoop already, as that uses infrared instead of the expensive data cable, but as you buy two computers you obviously only need one cable. If you actually want to download dive data to begin with.

I just saw the Puck Pro has deep stop functionality. The Zoop does not have that. There are some interesting discussions in this forum about deep stops, if you wonder if you need that or not.

The Zoop also doesn't have a stop watch or a backlight (phosphorescent instead). I have missed neither so far, but might be important to some.

Seems most "experts" don't think deep stops are required. I don't know if the Puck Pro's deep stop function is optional, I don't really care for it.

I'll leaning towards the Puck Pro. I like the price and it does what I need.

I've used both Puck and Zoop as rental computers.
The Puck was prone to problems but the Zoop lasted very well.

The single button Puck is a pain to navigate through the menus.

The Suunto buttons are pretty intuitive.

My wife and I both have zoops over 100 dives, cold water warm water rock solid. Fair warning if you like to push your luck the algorithm is conservative so if you are doing 4 a days or a live aboard don't be surprised it you run out of no decomp time before others in the group. Overall very solid comp for the money.

i dont like suunto because they are very conservative, but the mares is even more conservative and as far as cheap dive coms go, the zoop(gecko) is a very good one! the only thing mares makes good is fins, in fact they make the best!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom