Mares Puck Pro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

poolecw

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Guys,

I'm trying to get back into diving after a 15 year hiatus. That said, I have never used a dive computer, only tables. Man, have times have changed.

I want to buy a good entry level computer that will be simple to use. The mares Puck Pro is currently on sale for less than $145 at both Leisure Pro as well as Diver's Supply. Would you guys consider this a good computer to fit my needs?

Any con's to it?

Other than you can't add remote tank pressure, it's a solid unit. I like the Cressi Leonardo a little better because it uses IR to transfer data, instead of metal contacts, which can corrode.

what type of diving and frequency are you going to be doing? multiple dives/day (more than 2)? Deep?

My wife has a puck, and it is just fine for recreational, 2 dives a day fun diving. I've carried it as a back-up on deep recreational and it didn't like that.

truth be told, I will never buy a Mares product again. I did have some issues with their software, and their support was so abysmal, it soured my opinion of them. I feel there are better options...

What kind of diving will you be doing? Are you getting back into it heavily or will you be going for a vacation dive once per year for 6 - 10 dives. Will you be diving on Nitrox, although most of the computers will allow for multiple gas options. Do you want to download your dive data to your computer or smartphone? If so, find one with a simple interface. Also, remember: MOST of the time, you get what you pay for. It's a tough decision, but do your homework and you should be fine. AND everyone has their favorite. IF your diving profile matches theirs then you MAY like the same computer. I've been where you are. I bought something that I love, but it is waaaaaay more computer than I NEED, and I wouldn't get rid of it.

Good luck on your search.

Cheers -

Thanks all.

I am land locked up in North GA, but there are at least three dive quarries within 1.5 hours from here. So I do hope to get back into diving fairly heavily with frequent quarry trips coupled with a couple Florida trips per year. I do hope to get Nitrox certified sometime this spring.

I really would like to take the plunge and get the Perdix (buy once, cry once) but I wonder if the total lack of dive computer use would cause me to be overwelmed with the Perdix.

My plan is to get something simple to use now and then upgrade in a year or so.

I was looking at the Mares Puck as well until I read that it will not interface with a mac computer... So the search continues!

I an going through the same thing.
I was a table diver for years and had a computer years ago that got lost during a kayak diving mishap. I just went back to tables until recently when I decided to get another computer and found the Mares Puck.
Seemed like a great deal, great price, air/ nitrox, user replaceable battery, gauge mode. Then I found out about all the different algorithms and apparently Mares uses a very conservative algorithm and they even pad it more conservative in house with their own added proprietary algorithm which makes for an extremely limited use unit. It’s OK for shallow dives with a lot of surface interval time and no more than three dives a day. Beyond that it severely limits exposure. It gets worse the more days that pile on.

The unit was basically smashed crushed and beat to death in a million pieces here on Scubaboard. It was declared unusable by many, so back to the drawing board.
What I gathered was it has to be a Perdix or it ‘ain’t sh_t.
The ONLY cheap unit that was considered remotely usable by the elites here was a DSAT based Oceanic, they are in the $300 range.

So for now I’m just going to use my Puck for local shore dives to no more that 60’ and no more than two dives a day. This is funny because for these local shore dives I don't even need a computer. Just based on peoples’ comments, I don’t trust it now for multi day charter trips (which is what I wanted it for), so basically I bought a $150 paper weight.

Beyond it’s limitations, I’m going to use it in gauge mode and go back to tables and more squarish profiles for the more rigorous dives.
I can’t afford a Perdix yet.

Guys,

I'm trying to get back into diving after a 15 year hiatus. That said, I have never used a dive computer, only tables. Man, have times have changed.

I want to buy a good entry level computer that will be simple to use. The mares Puck Pro is currently on sale for less than $145 at both Leisure Pro as well as Diver's Supply. Would you guys consider this a good computer to fit my needs?

Any con's to it?

Yesterday it was $129 at LeisurePro, including shipping. Today it's $139.

I bought one for my newly certified girlfriend for her birthday because she worries when the DM says we're going to 90 feet and she's only certified to 60 feet :wink:

Last edited:
Leisurepro will sell the geo 2.0 for $250 and I got an email from diversdirect for the al i300 for $170.95.

I was looking at the Mares Puck as well until I read that it will not interface with a mac computer... So the search continues!

I dive with a Mares Puck (classic) since 2010, and transfer the data to the excellent MacDive program on my Mac with the Drak interface (Puck Pro has a different transfer cable, but it also definitely works with a Mac, and definitely get MacDive).
Opinions differ about the single button, but once you understand the logic (click to rotate through a menu, hold to go a level down (e.g., from list of dives to individual dives), hold on "ESC" to go a level up), the most annoying is the 20 clicks (5 seconds) to go from nitrox 36 to nitrox 32. During a dive, I only need the button to activate the backlight at night.
One thing the Puck (and Puck Pro) can promise that none of the Shearwaters can: you will never accidentally press a wrong button :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom