Mares Puck Safety Stop Problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DarrinR

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I recently purchased 2 Mares air/compass pucks; one for me and the other for my son. on our first dive, only my sons computer went ino automatic safety stop mode. On our seond dive about an hour later, neither computer went into safety stop mode. Our first dive was 45 minutes to a maximum depth of 65 feet and the seond was around 50 minutes to a maximum depth of 50 feet. Anyone experienced these issues?

maybe you have to enable safety stops in the settings.
also for some cert agencies a safety stop is only required when you go deeper than 30m.
but a lot recommend it

maybe you have to enable safety stops in the settings.
also for some cert agencies a safety stop is only required when you go deeper than 30m.
but a lot recommend it

The manual for this computer is online
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...AuIdDeP9Zp1byaIeA&sig2=sJ0rLl1J2nehWAFedZDZHQ

Page 8 has the safety stop info and it does not look like you can turn it off. It's activated for dives over 10 meters, and has a range of 8-19 ft. If you ascend above 8 feet the safety stop disappears.

I have a wrist Puck. The only times It hasn't asked for a safety stop is very shallow dives (less than 30 ft) and if I come shallow at the end of a deeper dive and hang around 25 feet of so for 5-10 min. which is almost a safety stop anyway.

This is only my feeling but the Puck seems to be sensitive to a quicker asent. If you don't trigger the ascent alarm it seems to be more forgiving of the safety stop.

BUT, even if it doesn't tell me to do a safety stop I still do one. Cheap Insurance.

What was your tank pressure when you hit the safety stop? I have noticed that my puck air sometimes does not go into safety stop mode but my tank pressure was at or below the low reserve alarm.

I have the same problem. I have a Mares Puck Air Integrated. I have been diving now for a week in Cozumel and it has not given me a single safety stop. It does work very well when into deco, but not otherwise.

The most obvious source of error is of course that I have not found a specific setting. I have read through the manual and as Hatul said, it doesn't seem like it can be turned on and turned off. All my dives were deeper than 30 ft. Every time my Oceanic Veo 180 which I have as backup automatically went into safety stop. (And yes, of course I still did a safety stop)

Thus, I'm starting to think there may be something wrong with the unit.

Any other ideas? DarrinR, did you get resolution?

Lexionn

I have done several more dives since my last post and my suspicion was correct. The safety stop function works fine as long as you do not breath your tank pressure below the low reserve setting. Currently my low reserve alarm is set for the lowest setting (725psi). When my tank pressure reaches that, the safety stop countdown is disabled and the computer blinks "Low Air." Everything else works fine so I use the overall dive time to calculate the safety stop.

I have done several more dives since my last post and my suspicion was correct. The safety stop function works fine as long as you do not breath your tank pressure below the low reserve setting. Currently my low reserve alarm is set for the lowest setting (725psi). When my tank pressure reaches that, the safety stop countdown is disabled and the computer blinks "Low Air." Everything else works fine so I use the overall dive time to calculate the safety stop.

Thanks Logan for your quick response. Your explanation makes good sense and fits with my experience. I have been diving with 120 tanks and I have plenty air left when I hit 725, thus I'm normally below this when I go for my safety stop.

As it seems it would be a good thing to do a safety stop even when one is below 725 psi in pressure it begs the question why Mares would have programmed it this way... Do you or anyone else know of a way to disable the low pressure alarm so that I get this nifty feature? It would seem silly to have negative value from the air integration...

Thanks again

Thanks Logan for your quick response. Your explanation makes good sense and fits with my experience. I have been diving with 120 tanks and I have plenty air left when I hit 725, thus I'm normally below this when I go for my safety stop.

As it seems it would be a good thing to do a safety stop even when one is below 725 psi in pressure it begs the question why Mares would have programmed it this way... Do you or anyone else know of a way to disable the low pressure alarm so that I get this nifty feature? It would seem silly to have negative value from the air integration...

Thanks again

I have read through the manual several times and I don't see a way to disable that low reserve feature. All you can do is silence the alarms but the function remains. I have also experienced this during the dive. I can silence the alarm but the safety stop countdown did not return. It's not a big deal with a safety stop because I can use the dive timer to finish the stop but what about deco? Wouldn't this feature create a more serious problem if you were holding a mandatory deco stop and your pressure dropped below 725psi. I wonder if that would disable the deco countdown timer as well? Like you I dive larger capacity tanks (120 or 130) and I have plenty of gas at 725psi. Has anyone out there ever put this computer in deco and can comment on this?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom