Shearwater Teric NDL?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think a few people here are confusing "aggressive" and "conservative".

For example: The OP said his No Deco time was "ultra aggressive" and I think he meant "ultra conservative".

Others appear to have made the same mistake in their posts.

@ClintoKL the answer to your question is yes, you can change the Conservatism to Low (45/95).

Do that and make sure your gas is set correctly - i.e. if you're using Nitrox, make sure the computer is set to the correct FO2. (were you diving with Nitrox and the computer set to Air?)

That's about all you can do to make it less conservative.

I have a Puck Pro and a Perdix 2, which I assume is very similar to the Teric for these purposes. From my experience, the Shearwater factory settings yielded more conservative NDL times than my old Mares Puck Pro (which I had set to the least conservative setting several years back). Once I adjusted the Perdix to the least conservative setting, then the Perdix would usually have slighty longer NDL times than the Puck Pro, which I still wear as a back-up (but not as big a difference as some people would think).

So, if you had previously set your Puck Pro to the least conservative setting, that may explain it.

So, if you had previously set your Puck Pro to the least conservative setting, that may explain it.

Did you ever see 11 minutes difference on yours? With Perdix being 11 minutes shorter?

PS. looking at the numbers, 10 minutes should be about 20 GF points difference, so if Teric is at the default GF 85, that would make Puck Pro's controlling M-value an equivalent of GFHi 105. Which I suppose is not impossible for some profiles on the first dive of the first day of the trip, but I wouldn't think it likely.

Hi, just got back from my first dive trip with my Teric and I found my No Deco time ultra aggressive. My camera dive case also has a dive computer built in (which matched my old Mares Puck pretty accurately). But vs the Teric, the Teric was at least 11 minutes more conservative and almost EVERY dive hit 5 on the no deco which put me into a 5 minute safety stop. And one dive I even hit the deco. I constantly found myself having to dive at a lower depth than the rest of the diving group to try and avoid the no deco alerts.
I was using OC Rec. Is there a way to adjust this to be less conservative or do I need to use Tec mode and make some kind of adjustment?

Set your Teric to less conservative. Go to page 71 of the manual, https://www.shearwater.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/09/Teric_Manual-metric_2021.pdf and follow the procedure shown on that page.

If you are at High 35/75, select Med 40/85.

Good luck!

IMG_2538.jpeg

Did you ever see 11 minutes difference on yours? With Perdix being 11 minutes shorter?

PS. looking at the numbers, 10 minutes should be about 20 GF points difference, so if Teric is at the default GF 85, that would make Puck Pro's controlling M-value an equivalent of GFHi 105. Which I suppose is not impossible for some profiles on the first dive of the first day of the trip, but I wouldn't think it likely.
I honestly can't recall the exact difference in NDL minutes, I just recall being somewhat shocked that my Perdix had fewer minutes of NDL time left than my Puck Pro -- so I changed the Perdix conservatism after 1 dive, and it hasn't been an issue since.

Hi, when I dive no deco, I keep my Shearwater with GF 50/70 and I bring my Mares. Sure my shearwater will give me deco earlier but just by doing a slow and easy conservative ascent I clear it. And in case I enter some deco, I prefer following my shearwater profile.
However if you absolutely want your shearwater to behave like your cheap other computer, just use GF 90/90, it will be very close.

That's pretty much the difference between bubble and saturation model summed up. Bubble model allows more "aggressive" ascents, which is advantageous for rec divers, not so much for actual deco dives.
Different GFs could make sense for you, i left it at 40/85 since my dives have a shallow ascent anyways.
The cool thing about SW is that you can freely adjust the GFs and won't get punished/locked out if you don't strictly adhere to it.

Every dive is a deco dive (quote from Mark Powell) that I completely agree with. I don’t see why you would use a more aggressive algorithm for rec dives vs deco dives.

Every dive is a deco dive (quote from Mark Powell)
I'm tired of hearing this "quote".....
Firstly, when and where did Powell say this? I can't find it in his book. What was the context of his statement (if he made it)? Was he being flippant? Colloquial? Joking? Rhetorical?
Secondly, in common usage "deco dive" is one with mandatory decompression stops, hence all dives are not "deco dives." Yes, all dives involve some decompression....but for an NDL dive that is done with ascent rates.
All dives involve decompression but not all dives are deco dives.
This has been discussed endlessly on SB; do we have to do it all over again?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom