Mares Puck vs M2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kolopua

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Could you help me to choose between these two computers: the M2 and the Puck?
What are the differences between the two?
Thanks for your answer

Hi there!

Both my husband and I use the Mares Puck computer. I have no experience with the M2 so I can't compare the tow, but I'm happy to share my impressions of the Puck.

What I like about it: conservative algorithym, ascent rate monitor, big and easy to read numbers, No deco time and depth very prominently displayed, Nitrox compatible, gives temperature (I love knowing this), one big easy to use button, different settings for use with fresh or salt water, price.

What I'm not as thrilled about: The manual is so-so. Still, it only took me about 30-40 minutes of playing around with the manual and computer before I felt comfortable navigating between screens and there is now a flow chart packaged with the computers that should be helpful. I find the wrist mounted puck to be a little bulky, but I am very thin woman with tiny wrists. Still with a wetsuit it sits comfortably and I LOVE having it on my wrist--way easier to keep an eye on than the console.

We both like the Puck a lot--I'd buy this computer again if I had to replace it.

The M2 is bulky and uses short lived AAA batteries much like my old Surveyor which is why I chose to go a different direction. I hated having to change batteries every trip and sometimes more than once a trip and it was so big that I would hang it up almost every time while trying to put on my BC.

I ended up getting the Nemo Sport because it is really streamlined and uses a long life lithium battery. I also got a sweet deal from Leisure Pro as they matched SportExtreme.com's low ball price of 143 euros ($185).

The Puck, although bigger than the Nemo is not as bulky as the M2 and uses a lithium battery. As it is one of Mares' latest models, it likely has their lastest algorithms. You can get Leisure Pro to match Scubastore's latest price on the Puck for around $205.

I have been using a Mares M1 for many years and have only had to change the AAA batteries 2 or 3 times over that period. Not sure why you would be going through batteries so fast on the M2.

I am looking at a computer for my daughter and will probably go for the Puck. My only concern is that while it is said to have a user replaceable battery the manufaturers seem to be saying that you should really take it to a service centre. This makes me think that the battery compartment is not isolated. The advantage of the M2 batteries is that AAA can be bought just about anywhere in the world and the battery compartment is completely isolated from the rest of the computer (ie if water does get in it does no damage).

And thanks heaps for the tip that Scubastore has it so much cheaper than Leisurpro!!! You just saved me a lot of dollars.

(Will see if Leisupro will match the price since there are other items I want to get from them as well - how do they adjust the price if you are buying over the net??.)

Blue, you are absolutely correct!:shakehead::coffee: And personally, I've been able to do more than 40 dives on a single set of AAA batteries in my M2, so changing was no hassle. Plus I use rechargeable AAAs... So it's cheaper and you don't throw them away after!

To the best of my knowledge (Phil, Zak correct me if I'm wrong), the puck uses the same RGBM algorythm the M2 does. The only real advantages I see in the puck over the M2 are: Easier to push button (the M2 buttons can be hard), easier menu, longer lasting battery (if changing a battery is a hassle for you:eyebrow:), and it's the currently supported Mares computer (M2 discontinued). Other than that, it is pretty much the same as the M2!

On the other hand, user replaceable AAA batteries in my book are a big advantage. Also, the M2 has a permanent backlight you can keep on during a night dive (I love this function, not many computers do it!!!). It's cheap (179$ at Scubatoys) and Mares warranty still applies even if it's discontinued.

If I had to choose, I'd buy another M2. But both are good product and I think it's more the fine details which one person will prefer over another, which are the difference.

Just food for thought!

First thanks to all of you for your answers. great help! :)

Anyone knows about the puck and the battery compartment? is it isolated or not?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom