Mares puck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good display and fairly easy to use. Manual's good about telling you how to manipulate the controls.
I hate the one button use though.

I dove this computer for a year or so. good beginner computer, but the one button thing is super annoying. i love buttons.

My wife bought me one for my birthday, only one I've ever owned, I like it. She bought me the online class for it and it helped me greatly in learning how to use it and understand computers and what they do and was the only training I ever had on computers. I'm only smart enuff to use one button,god forbid if it had two it would be out of my league. Even with one button I have to relearn it before my twice a year vacation. Sometimes it makes a bunch of beeps and noise that I don't understand but it doesn't really bother me, other than that I give it good reviews and recommendations.

...... She bought me the online class for it and it helped me greatly in learning how to use it and understand computers and what they do .....
You have a great wife!
Next she should buy you the DCbuddy kit for the Mares Puck so you can retrieve logs directly from the Puck using your smartphone / tablet :wink:

It was my first computer, and I still use it as a back up on technical dives. It's an extremely reliable unit, and is a excellent in timer mode as it has mins:secs. The user replaceable battery is good, the battery life is fantastic, and as far as the 'old' LCD screen goes it's one of the best - big clear numbers.

The one button thing never bothered me. It's ok to use, but obviously takes longer to cycle through menus as a result. Logbook can be frustrating, but that's post dive; it's during the dive the puck excels.

I only changed as my wife bought me an xdeep bt, but the puck is always in a pocket on every dive. I replaced the strap with bungee which really lowers the profile too. I'd recommend it, I've done all my recreational diving using it, and many tech dives in timer mode; good job.

Last edited:
As someone already mentioned, it's worth pointing the Puck, and the PuckPro are different beasts. The Puck just like a bunch of other units. The PuckPro is something special, in my mind, with a vastly better display, two gas setup, lower profile, etc.

Also that data cable someone linked does not specifically list the PuckPro which means it may not work with it.

---------- Post added July 28th, 2014 at 01:29 PM ----------

The electronics contained in the Puck USB cable are outrageously trivial, certainly not worth more than $10 or so.

As is the case with most electronics, the circuits are trivially inexpensive. I am sure the cost of the electronics is more like ten cents. It's building a robust connection point that matters, and the R&D and testing for that is not even slightly trivial.

Aftermarket items can break and it's no big deal. Branded items have to be basically bulletproof or they drag the whole brand down with them.

I had a Puck, used it for a 2 liveaboard trips and then it died. Basically the insides scrambled so I donno what to tell you. regarding the expensive cable though, I got an aftermarket one by some German guy it worked great until the computer broke of course.

My back up computer is a puck. For the price can't complain.
i prefer two buttons but I like the price for a good serviceable computer better.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom