Mares Reg Servicing Issues

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KBeck

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm wondering if anyone else is having issues getting parts for Mares regs, or if my LDS is handing me a load of BS.

I brought my regs in to be serviced (standard annual, nothing unusual), and after 2+ weeks of no word, I called...twice....and was finally told that they could not get the parts. Specifically, (and I'm sure I'm getting something about the explanation wrong here, but I'll repeat it as best as I remember) Mares is changing the way they are manufacturing parts. In the meantime, parts already made are in short supply. Ergo, it is now extremely difficult to find parts, anywhere, from any dealer. In addition to the two weeks they were already there, it would be at least 4-8 weeks before they could get them in. :06:

Now, I don't think they were trying to play me or be difficult, nor were they trying to sell me something. They happily gave me my regs back without question (unserviced, of course, but no charges), along with the statement that they had some 15+ others in the same situation.

So, I just wanted to poll the rest of the population before I believed them or, alternatively, tell them to shove it.........again, I don't have any reason to distrust their word, but, well, it just doesn't pass the -smell- test, if you know what I mean. :D I will bring them to another shop and see what they have to say as well.

Anyone have any input on this? Thanks in advance!

My LDS has dropped the Mares/Dacor line, therefore, they can no longer get parts, therefore, they no longer perform service on Mares/Dacor regs. I think they dropped them due to supply/demand issues. They 'only' carry four lines, now.

Out shop has problems getting Mares/Dacor parts also and is looking at other lines of regs.

KBeck:
I'm wondering if anyone else is having issues getting parts for Mares regs, or if my LDS is handing me a load of BS.

Mares's home front in Italy has recently "let go" a number of "white shirts" for some of these basic management issues. Parts availability has been a problem for a while, particularly in the USA. If Mares doesn't rectify this situation soon they will lose a lot of loyal customers.

I would check with some other local Mares dealers. Annual rebuild kits are generally available. When I left the dive industry I had the opportunity to stock up on enough Mares parts to service my six regs for the next ten years or so.

Greg Barlow
Former Science Editor for Rodale's Scuba Diving Magazine
Mares regulator tech (among other brands)

ranger:
Out shop has problems getting Mares/Dacor parts

Hmmm, imagine that. Maybe they have been so busy with the Limited Edition line they forgot about parts.

I'm sure Stefano will dive in here and address the issue.

Thanks very much for the speedy replies, guys. Sounds like a dumb way to do business....it's like putting out a new line of cars and, whoops, forgetting to provide parts for the previous millions that they've already sold. If I can't get them serviced, I may as well go to a new reg that can be............good thing I was already thinking about a new reg anyway. :D

I'm sure Stefano will dive in here and address the issue.[/QUOTE]

I doubt it...Unconfirmed word is that Stefano is packing his bags.

Greg Barlow

I never had problems getting parts for Mares regs with the exception of the older ones but I haven't ordered any in a while. I don't mind seeing Dacor die but losing Mares would be sad.

I took my Mares reg to the LDS in july. Still no parts...

EDIT: I went down to the shop today and they were in. Still had to wait 2 months for parts though.

steve2281:
Hmmm, imagine that. Maybe they have been so busy with the Limited Edition line they forgot about parts.

I'm sure Stefano will dive in here and address the issue.

Stefano is no longer with Mares.

Parts are a pain to get.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom