Mares Regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been diving a MR22 Abyss/Proton metal octo for over 20 years. They are high quality bullet proof regulators.
I've only used Proton seconds. First the plastic and now the Proton metals. Is there a noticeable advantage to the Abyss?

I've only used Proton seconds. First the plastic and now the Proton metals. Is there a noticeable advantage to the Abyss?

The body of the abyss is metal...is the body of the proton metal also metal or just the faceplate?

In the end, I bet they function/breath relativley the same.

-Z

Just checked some pictures on google images and it seems like the Proton metal 2nd atage does have a metal body.

I would have to dig into the parts list in the service manual to check the differences but I am under the impression that the body and faceplate of the Proton is slightly smaller than the Abyss...I doubt that has a significant affect on real world performance though.

-Z

The body of the abyss is metal...is the body of the proton metal also metal or just the faceplate?

In the end, I bet they function/breath relativley the same.

-Z
The body is metal. I've got one mostly stripped down for service that I'll take a pic of.
IMG_20210624_012234578.jpg

This is a Proton Ice, which is the same as the Proton Metal except for cosmetics. There is also a Proton Ice Extreme which is the same except for a black coating that is supposed to shed ice crystals.

This is widely believed but not "fully" true. HOG does not promote self service without taking a service class under a specific training agency. One cannot get an official copy of their service manual without taking the class. With regards to their service kits, they do not make them available for sale to the public but also do not prohibit their dealers from selling the kits to the public...if hypothetically DRIS was the only shop selling the kits and they decided to stop selling them, then you would be sh#t out of luck. At least that is according to my research...otherwise HOG regs are a good regset and their are service kits available for sale on the open retail market, for now.

-Z
the DRIS HOG service course is $250 and parts kits go for about $20, so in the long haul i think is more reasonable than paying $30 per stage at your LDS...<TG>

The Abyss was (still is) the best Mares reg you could buy and since I dive up here in the cold Great Lakes, I wanted the best reg I could get. The same reason I got the Proton metal as an octo.

the DRIS HOG service course is $250 and parts kits go for about $20, so in the long haul i think is more reasonable than paying $30 per stage at your LDS...<TG>

Perhaps...depends if one wants/needs to invest in the tools required for the course ( or if the folks giving the course will allow you to work around not having the proper tools). Reasonable and value are a personal perspective type of thing...while I share your perspective, I know plenty of people that do not. Anecdotally speaking, I was visiting a doctor friend a bunch of years ago and we sat around his house all day because he was waiting on the technician from the cable company to sort out his cable service...when the guy finally came by, all that was required was connecting a piece of coax cable that was on the floor to the wall jack and the cable box. I asked why we waited all day for that and my friend said that he knows lots about the human body (a physiatrist who was head of physical medicine and rehab at a major naval hospital) but he said he only cares to know how to turn on his tv and scroll through the channels. Initially that mentality frustrated me but I have learned not to presume what other may perceive as being reasonable and of value in their lives.

-Z

he.only cares to know how to turn on his tv and scroll through the channels. -Z
LOL, you make some good points, DRIS charges $735 for tools and they're pretty basic:
Torque Wrench
1/4" - 3/8" Adapter
Allen Key Set
3/8" Hex Key Sockets
13/16 deep socket
Pin Spanner
(2) Adjustable wrenches
Brass Picks
IP Gauge
Inline adjustment tool
Reg/vise tool
Tribolube
Stationary Magnahelic - Tester
Nylon Brushes
Microfiber Towels
I pretty much own all of this stuff already and you could find most of it at Homedepot or Ace...:cheers:<TG>

Reactions: Zef
I’m always worried when I see a surgeon hanging his own Christmas lights.

Reactions: Zef
LOL, you make some good points, DRIS charges $735 for tools and they're pretty basic:
Torque Wrench
1/4" - 3/8" Adapter
Allen Key Set
3/8" Hex Key Sockets
13/16 deep socket
Pin Spanner
(2) Adjustable wrenches
Brass Picks
IP Gauge
Inline adjustment tool
Reg/vise tool
Tribolube
Stationary Magnahelic - Tester
Nylon Brushes
Microfiber Towels
I pretty much own all of this stuff already and you could find most of it at Homedepot or Ace...:cheers:<TG>

Shameless plug. I have a few Mares second stage kits for sale.
Proton
Rebel
Ruby/Voltrex/Abyss/Orbiter

PM me if interested.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom