Mares Rover 12 vs Apeks at20

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

impulse

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello,

I am a new diver. I will not dive in cold water and will not go below 40 meters / 131 feets. I will be using nitrox sometime in the future. Which reg is a better choice "mares rover 12" vs "apeks at20" ?

Thank you.

Both are fine well proven regs. My choice would be the Apeks since it has a higher performance balanced 2nd stage.

2nd for Apeks.

Hey impulse,

The Rover is a great reg, simple, easy/cheap to service, and solidly built to boot. The Apeks might cost you a little more to service because they are UK made, but is also a very simple hardworking regulator.

My vote in your case would be the Rover for rubber coated second stage robustness and a tried and tested first stage. We were one of the first centres to test the Rover setup in Australia as a school reg before it was released in production, and I loved it.

-- Nemo

The AT 20 is a fine reg with a US4 first stage (unsealed version of the techie favorite DS4). It has a pneumatically balanced second stage which is essentially the same as the other Apeks (and AL Legend) seconds. Personally, I would choose an Apeks over any Mares reg.

I use the MR12 and it works great. I can't speak about the Apeks because I haven't used it. I'm sure they're both good and comparable regulators as was pointed out by Fishpie. I've had the MR12 to 120' and had no problems breathing and it didn't feel like I needed a balanced 2nd stage. I'm starting to wonder numbers would constitute a "noticeable" difference in breathing from a second stage. The only difference I've found is usually how it's adjusted and whether the first stage is a piston or not (that definatly gives your lungs a workout).

You'll find a lot of people are very "brand" loyal in scuba diving. Either because that's what they sell or that's what they've always used. It also depends on where people are. Americans tend to go more twords Aqualung, Scuba Pro, etc. While Europeans go twords Mares and such. When gear costs thousands of dollars it's difficult to just buy and then see if you like it. That's why we get questions like yours.

Since they're both good, their technology has been tested, and the price is comperable I'd look at other aspects that may make your decision easier. How often are you going to be using it? Can you get it repaired locally? Do they have a free parts maintenance schedule? Chances are once you buy one if you like it you'll be sticking with that company for a while. I personally like Mares and that's what I stick with for now.

Back
Top Bottom