Mares She Dives Reg & Proton Octo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gNats

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
What is the coldest water temp (degrees F) that this reg is designed to work safely in?

I have the She Dives reg as my primary and the Proton Metal for my Octo.

Thank you,
Natalie

Hi Natalie,

Here is the range that is recommended in the manual.
Model Warm water Cold Water

(Temp. = > 10 C (50 F)) (Temp. < 10 C (50 F))

Proton Metal Octo Approved Approved

Proton Metal Approved Approved

We do not set a specific low range, as outside conditions are fluid and always change. Example 30*F one day may have different effects on a regulator than another day at the same temperature. Note we test our regulators in (static enviornment) and tests prove they can withstand extreme cold temperatures. If one is diving in cold water conditions we recommend installing a CWD kit to enviornmentally seal the 1st stage. Mares has some specific technologies resulting in our all metal regulators proving to be of the best in cold water for the following reasons.

• All metal construction. Metal is a superior thermal conductor opposed to plastic
  • Mares 2nd stage has fewer internal moving parts, compared to other regulators decreasing the possibility for performance deterioration and failure over extended use
  • DFC (dynamic flow control) on the dedicated primary LP port. With this technology we greatly improve intermediate pressure stability, with very little fluctuation during inhalation regardless of depth, tank pressure etc.
  • VAD (vortex assist design) and the bypass tube allows for air expansion in the 2nd stage to occurr away from the demand lever and moving parts within the body of the 2nd stage. This is very important because generally speaking this is where "freezing" up begins. The air expansion is colder than the water and enviornment inside the 2nd stage. This can begin the formation of ice crystals. If the crystals form and continue to build up, it can lead to a continuous unstopable freeflow, or at least until ice has melted.
You can check out this video I uploaded to youtube. This should help clarify the benefits of Mares all metal technology and cold water diving. Hope this helps to answer your question.

YouTube - Mares Cold Water Technology Video.wmv

Best regards,

Hi Zac,

Okay, maybe a bit too technical of an answer for me.

Let me reword my question....

If I want to go diving during the month of November, in Michigan, and the air temperature is between 35 and 45 deg F and the water temperature is 50-55 deg F, should I expect my reg and octo to perform as expected?

This is awful cold to me but, is it considered "cold water diving" to my equipment?

I'm pretty sure I would be okay, but thought I would ask.

Sorry I can't wrap my brain around your original answer.

Hi Zac,

Okay, maybe a bit too technical of an answer for me.

Let me reword my question....

If I want to go diving during the month of November, in Michigan, and the air temperature is between 35 and 45 deg F and the water temperature is 50-55 deg F, should I expect my reg and octo to perform as expected?

This is awful cold to me but, is it considered "cold water diving" to my equipment?

I'm pretty sure I would be okay, but thought I would ask.

Sorry I can't wrap my brain around your original answer.

LOL, sorry for being technical.. I'm sure some of the good people on the board will appreciate it though. :)

In short, yes your regulator will perform flawlessly in those conditions described. Brrrr. I will assume you will be diving with buddies that have experience in these conditions. Just follow their advice and you are good to go! No worries. You may want to read up on some specific techniques for cold water diving conditions, but I'm sure youll have a great time! Well, make sure you have a hot beverage for your post dive thaw!

Have fun,

Thanks Zak!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom