Mares X Vision Liquid Skin or Cressi Big Eyes Evolution?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kmo225

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Well it is about time I replaced my mask, and after spending most of the day today on the internet looking (when I should have been working :D) I think I have it narrowed down to these two options. Can anyone out there help me out, offer up some advice? Or if these two are terrible are there are better ones out there, I am definitely open to that as well. My last mask had a clear skirt, so I am thinking I may go for a black one this time, but I have never used a black one so I hope I don't hate it. Most of my diving is done in warm tropical waters, so I would think a black one would suit my better, and I was not a fan of how yellowed the skirt on my current clear mask became. Also, I have never used a mask with two separate lenses, my current mask is a 3 lens version, with one main piece and two on the sides, and I really like that. Will I hate the two lens type of mask? Thanks so mcuh in davance!

And apparently I am an idiot today when it comes to typing, I am sure yall will figure out what I meant, but I hate spelling errors...I meant "much in advance!"

I can't speak to the two you listed, but I have the Atomic Frameless, and it is the best mask I have ever used. If you can, try one on.

Ron

Unless you are just sold on the liquidskin, you can still get the Mares Demon on scubastore.com. It's discontinued, but they are similar masks. I have both the black and clear skirt versions. I was having some issues with light from behind reflecting through the clear skirt and casting a reflection that bugged me. So I tried the black. You know what they say ... once you've tried black you wont go back. I love it!!!!

have you tried either on for fit? You can't really shop for a mask on the net by looks and features.

If you like your current mask and it fits/doesn't leak, why replace it? Who cares if it's yellowed.

The Xvision is amazing. When I was looking around at what kind of mask to get for rental, the XVision was the only opaque skirted mask that no one wearing it ever knew it was not a clear skirt.

Why this matters: Opaque skirts can really freak out people who have never worn masks, and even some people who have. They normally feel slightly claustrophobic.

The straps clips look cheesy, and have an unnerving tendency to randomly completely loosen though, so I would go with a slap strap for a personal mask.

Those are two great masks.. I have both.. there is some difference in how the mask fits and attaches.. the Mares has the strap attached via two projections from the silicon.. which makes moving the pressure around your face by moving the location of the strap on the back of your head a bit less effective.. if you don't need it, then it does not matter.

I have both black and semi-clear skirts...the mares is the yellow.. shocked the heck out of me the first time I surfaced with the sun out.. everything was yellow.

Field of view is great with both..

Second the strap clips on the Mares, they don't work...but love the mask.

I have the Mares with a black skirt which I upgraded to from a purge valve mask with a clear skirt. It took a slight adjustment to get used to the loss of a little bit of peripheral vision but that quickly passed. I like the black skirt over the clear skirt by far and the mask in general is much more comfortable than any of the other ones I tried on. I have had no problems with the mask strap as some of the others mentioned. On another note, I have a mustache and while I still get some leakage, it is significantly less than my older mask due to the soft skirt fitting my face better and sealing better against my mustache.

My wife just got one (green Mares) and she used it for the first time this past weekend. After getting used to clearing it from the previous purge mask she was wearing she really liked it. She also commented on how much more comfortable it was compared to her old mask.

I got mine at Scuba Toys as they have a nice selection of masks to try on + you get a 10% discount there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom