Mares X Vision vs Cressi Big Eye

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

atlas750

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Have to buy a new mask tonite. Cant decide between them. Any imput would be very welcome. Had old Cressi Aquarius and likes it, but now it at the bottom of the lake by accident.

X vision gives you slightly better upward vision. Now, if you go with the Cressi Horizon as opposed to the Big Eyes, you get slightly better periferal vision. The down side of the Horizon only comes into play if you night dive with a maskstrap mounted headlight. The side lenses catch a nasty glare from your headlamp.

Ultimately, of course, it's fit, fit, fit.

..it was the X-Vision for me. Also, the input from this board from people who had the Cressi was helpful. I seem to remember more than one saying the skirt was too soft, causing leaks when it wasn't seated carefully.

Jim

I test drove a Big Eyes during my OW and had lots of problems with it. From what I can remember, instead of any 'overlap' the skirt *edge* is what makes the seal. At least that's what I could figure out. I had constant leak problems.

Now on the other hand, I did purchase a minima and would wear that thing to wal-mart if I thought I could get away with it.

I ordered the X-Vision and will try it out in cozumel in two weeks!!

I have a Cressi Horizon and Mares X vision. Both are good masks, the Cressi does leak as others have mentioned. The X vision has a better fit and no leaks, the Horizon stays in my dive box now.

I had leaking issues when I first got it, around 30 dives ago.

No issues now. In fact, I was trying to induce a leak a few dives ago to get rid of some fogging and finally had to do the full flood'n'clear drill.

I don't know if the leakage improvements are because I've gotten better at wearing it or if the skirt has gotten used to my face.

Hard to say.

I have tried the Horizons. I thought that the extra peripheral vision was not worth the extra volume. I do dive with someone who likes hers. Different strokes.

Peter Doege

I own about 5 masks of all different styles. I use the Big Eyes when working as a dive master. I have found that it is my favorite of all of my masks. I also like my Techni-sub Ventura.

I have never had any leakage problems with the Cressi Horizon. It fits perfectly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom