Mares Xr Buckle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wouldn't be a particular issue without gloves, but as it's a different mechanism you need to make sure your buddies know how to release it.

If one is in a situation where they cannot talk their buddy through the removal of one's rig then the only thing a buddy needs to know is where their cutting device is so they can snip/slice the harness webbing to expedite removing the rig.

-Z

Sub Gravity makes a stainless steel buckle system that looks simpler and more sturdy.

For what it's worth, I put a cobra buckle on a BPW harness for a while and didn't like it. They aren't bad, but are far harder to work with when wearing gloves (in my opinion).

If it is implemented like a standard cobra buckle, I don't believe that they should be intended to be used for any quick release applications. The cobra buckle that Austrialpine sells can not be released under load, as it is meant to be used on climbing, parachute, and other safety harnesses.

Not the most excitingproduct to talk about, but I'd be keen on views on this minimalist buckle. Does anyone have experience of it?

To address the Mares buckle specifically, when I bought my XR backplate I thought I was going to remove the buckle immediately. I didn’t really see the need and initially I wasn’t sure I like way it operated. But, being a bit lazy and not wanting to rethread the whole webbing again, left it in place for a while.
I’ve come to like the security and convenience of it after a few dives. It is a bit finicky to get the hang of but once it’s engaged it stays put.

Back
Top Bottom