Marion County (FL) Dive Team PROVES "crime doesn't pay"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BladesRobinson

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
FLORIDA / LAT 27°39.133' / LON 080°22.261' / ICW M
This is really a bizzare story. Five teens steal the ashes of a womans father and two great danes and snort them, thinking they had hiested drugs! :rofl3:

See the story at: Investigators find remains after teens allegedly snorted ashes

SILVER SPRINGS --
A woman has the remains of her father and a dog back after burglars took them from her home.
Marion County Sheriff's detectives said the suspects snorted them, thinking they were drugs.
More than a month ago, Holli Tencza returned to her Silver Springs Shores home to find burglars had broken in and stolen her television and jewelry.
She couldn't believe it when she realized they had also taken boxes containing the ashes of her father and two dogs.
"I couldn't for the life of me figure out why anyone would take them, or keep it once they figured out what it was," Tencza said.
"They snorted them and tasted them to see what they had,” said Detective Gary Spicher from the Marion County Sheriff’s Office. “Once somebody realized they weren't drugs, someone thought they were cement."
Once the story hit the media, someone came forward saying they knew who the burglars were.
Five teenagers, including two juveniles, were arrested Jan. 18.
The first question from detectives was what happened to the ashes.
"One of the suspects brought Lt. Jones to the scene and said ‘I was standing right here and threw it out,’” said Lt. Dennis Joiner. “That helps us do our job."
The Marion County Sheriff’s Office Dive Team went to Magic Lake Thursday.
Detectives found a velvet pouch that held the boxes in a trash can. It seemed finding the ashes might be more difficult.
"The water is pretty clear, but once you get into silt and stir it up, the visibility goes to zero and you are pretty much searching by feel," said Deputy Eric Thoreson.

In less than an hour, divers were able to pull two boxes from the water. They opened them and found the bags had been safely resealed.
Tencza rushed to the sheriff’s office and was overjoyed when she saw the burglars had switched the bags.
Instead of getting her two dogs, she got one dog and the remains of her dad.
"I'm grateful they are back so I can take what I have home with me and just try to move on," Tencza said.
She plans to put them back on her mantle, proud of their lives and what they helped accomplish after their deaths.
Detectives think they solved as many as 20 burglaries this week because someone came forward about the ashes.
"Solving crime is solving crime,” Spicher said. “But being able to return something like this, that means so much to someone, that's what makes the job."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom