Marking Gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When we first started diving we marked everything. After a while the markings wore off. As we bought new gear we stopped marking anything.

In 30 years of diving unmarked gear has never been an issue. I do have some used camera gear that has other peoples names on it...

I have never encountered a situation where marking my gear was required. On a day boat I keep it under control so there is no confusion with other gear.

I mark most stuff because in my (technical) diving community people tend to fancy/need the same stuff and hence a lot looks the same. From stiff jetfins, backplates, wings, lights, computers, backup lights... etc... they are all marked with some light blue electrical tape and on most stuff my initials (although it wears off).

Not to return it but to make sure on a full boat that It's my gear that I'm putting on.

I don't mark gear but with a wide collection of yardsale equipment I've noticed engraving, nail polish and white paint seem to be the most enduring and resistant to removal.

I've recently accepted an assortment of initials, phone numbers, nicknames and full names scattered across my gear. The identifying birthmarks of gear of various origins and watch them fade over the years.

Regards,
Cameron

I have a custom tag on my BC (and am considering a slim Road ID for my wrist for safety reasons as well) similar to Aluminum Scuba Equipment ID Tag - 2 inch - 2 Sided that has my name, DOB, allergies, DAN insurance #, ICE contact. Blood type would be good to include just in case. I also have custom 3M waterproof stickers on all my gear Amazon.com : Personalized Waterproof 3M Sticker Labels for Scuba Diving gear, Boating gear, Fishing gear, Kayak gear and Camping gear : Prints : Sports & Outdoors with my e-mail address on them (which also happens to just be my full name). I also have the waterproof stickers on my zipper pulls for my wetsuit. Alternatively, YourBagTag also makes embroidered wetsuit pulls.YourZipTags

I have run into people with similar gear as mine and it has been great.

"name, DOB, allergies, DAN insurance #, ICE contact."
You can get a custom engraved (9 lines x 22 characters x 2 sides) stainless dog tag for $21.95 from:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C6T1FB6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and these folks do a nice job, with prompt shipping. Plenty of room for any information that might be needed in an emergency. My only complaint is that they use a popular ball chain (like a lamp pull) and getting a decent stainless "cuban" chain, flat link chain, isn't easy.

My gear either gets my name on it, or distinctive markers or tape of some kind. Enough to make sure that I can describe it, and no one else is likely to pick it up by accident.

Depends on the gear. I use an orange cable tie on my stringer to distinguish it from others. Another orange cable tie on my shark shield, again to distinguish it from others. I put my initials on my tanks to keep from getting them mixed up at the LDS. I put a dog tag on my gun with my contact info in case I lose it and someone is kind enough to return it to me. My computer stores my contact info, again in case it's lost and found. Same goes with my GoPro. That's about it. anything else is not that big of a concern. I doubt anyone is diving the exact same BC configuration as me and if I lose it during a dive I probably have bigger problems..

Back
Top Bottom