Marks on shoulder of aluminum cylinder from NET Cylinder: New Energy Technology Co ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SaltyWombat

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm diving in Indonesia now and am using a cylinder I don't recognize. Here are the marks on the shoulder:

3/4-14NPSM AXD149 EN 1975 2018.12 S13.6 NETC W17.3 V13.4 PW207 BAR PH310.5 BAR

I know what some of that means, e.g. 3/4-14NPSM is the neck size, 2018.12 is the born-on hydro date, V13.4 is apparently the internal water volume in liters, 207 bar is the working pressure, 310.5 bar must be the hydro pressure. NETC is the manufacturer: New Energy Technology Co., Ltd.

I have very poor internet right now since I'm on a liveaboard, so it's difficult to research this.

Anyone know what the other marks mean? S13.6 for example? AXD149 ? EN 1975?

I'm diving in Indonesia now and am using a cylinder I don't recognize. Here are the marks on the shoulder:

I know what some of that means, e.g. 3/4-14NPSM is the neck size, 2018.12 is the born-on hydro date, V13.4 is apparently the internal water volume in liters, 207 bar is the working pressure, 310.5 bar must be the hydro pressure. NETC is the manufacturer: New Energy Technology Co., Ltd.

I have very poor internet right now since I'm on a liveaboard, so it's difficult to research this.

Anyone know what the other marks mean? S13.6 for example? AXD149 ? EN 1975?
Some thoughts from the General Underwater Educated Suggestion Syndicate (GUESS).

AXD149. GUESS=serial number.
EN 1975. GUESS=standard manufactured to.
S13.6. GUESS=minimum wall thickness in mm (thanks @iain/hsm)
W17.3 GUESS=weight in kg

The internet problems may come from using it near a cylinder from a Chinese technology company.

Edited to correct S13.6.

Cylinders from China? Wow.
They’re not going to import them! I can’t interpret the markings either, but forging pressure tanks is meat-and-potatoes mechanical engineering.

This is China manufactured.
They’re not going to import them! I can’t interpret the markings either, but forging pressure tanks is meat-and-potatoes mechanical engineering.

Yeah but this is China manufactured "meat and potatoes" Mechanical engineering.
Where the "meat" is rancid and the "potato's" are riddled full of inclusions.

Some thoughts from the General Underwater Educated Suggestion Syndicate (GUESS).

AXD149. GUESS=serial number.
EN 1975. GUESS=standard manufactured to.
S13.6. GUESS=manufacturers name of cylinder. Similar to S80?
W17.3 GUESS=weight in kg

The internet problems may come from using it near a cylinder from a Chinese technology company.
Good work.
Only that S13.6 denotes the minimum wall thickness in mm

Now the question for consideration by the forum is that EN1975 is a discontinued standard
It was valid from 17 Feb 1999 and was withdrawn 1st Sep 2012

Which beggars two questions, why the Chinese would "sell" a product in Dec 2018
to an obsolete discontinued standard some six years later,

Further why build a cylinder to a DISCONTINUED European standard and then thread it 3/4" NPSM
which is a standard thread for the American market for DOT cylinders.

forging pressure tanks is meat-and-potatoes mechanical engineering.

You want to put Chinese made Tanks with 3000PSI/207Bar pressure on your back or be close to where they fill them, you do that not me :)

I have a team that audits and troubleshoots "copper" network cables made in China that are filled with "Tin" or Aluminum instead of copper. They cause havoc with network performance especially when cable run is more than 15 meters. They come to us because the client doesn't know what's going on inside their network and why they have intermittent issues while their users are screaming at the IT manager. They spent millions on their switches and routers but "saved" money with their cabling using Chinese network cables. Network cables are "meat-and-potatoes" but in China are rotten meat-and-potatoes.

In addition to my reply to this thread above and my questions in a previous post regarding cylinders and stampings on them. I would suggest that this cylinder is older than you think.
The manufacture date is not necessarily the same as the Hydro date stamped on the shoulder

If I were you I would also look underneath the cylinder at the base around the the heel.
Then also along the lower base. It is quite common to stamp the metal batch number for traceability
on the heel and include the date of manufacture around the base.

It's also very common for the date of manufacture on the base to be a few months earlier than the date of hydro test. But your cylinders manufacturing standard (EN 19750) expired six year earlier

I guess now you are beginning to understand the animosity in our scuba la la land. And how amateur scuba divers are being played.

Maybe the choice in Indonesia and other southeast Asian countries is dive with made in China cylinders or no diving at all. After all, you’ve already flown on the local airlines, taken rides on local transit, eaten food prepared with local standards, sailed on a local boat with local crew, breathed the gas provided by a local compressor, slept in a local hotel with local standards of cleanliness, so what’s the problem?

It's also very common for the date of manufacture on the base to be a few months earlier than the date of hydro test. But your cylinders manufacturing standard (EN 19750) expired six year earlier

I guess now you are beginning to understand the animosity in our scuba la la land. And how amateur scuba divers are being played.

Smart marketing would be to stamp a born on date within the window of the standard. Then stamp a current retest date for selling.
If you are bootlegging, you always need to find the loophole.

Reminds me of some oxygen cylinders I had in the states.
I had a bunch of 200cf oxygen bottles from the early 1900s. Circa 1911. They were stamped ICC-3A.
That is it, no working pressure or test information. Turns out, it was fairly common and my re-tester was familiar.
According to him, they used to stamp 1800 after it, test for that pressure, and stamp them with a fresh hydro. Laws changed over the years and there was a rule that they couldn't test a cylinder without a pressure rating and they were no longer allowed to stamp them prior to test. But all of the cylinders they had stamped themselves prior had a stamped working pressure and were allowed to be retested.
He gave them back to me with the explanation that he couldn't test them as is, but if they had 1800 stamped on them, he could test and certify them. 20 minutes with some stamps and a sledge, they went to test and they are still floating around in the Linde/Airgas system somewhere being used daily over 100 years after manufacture.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom