Marks on shoulder of aluminum cylinder from NET Cylinder: New Energy Technology Co ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You want to put Chinese made Tanks with 3000PSI/207Bar pressure on your back or be close to where they fill them, you do that not me :)
Seems I recall a large online dive store in the US selling a line called Cyl-Tec which I think I remember at one time had neck markings that included "M0814"?

See review image gallery pic in old amazon listing for "Cyl-Tec New Stock 80CF Scuba Diving Tank - (3000 psi) Aluminum Diving Cylinder with Combo Valve":

1669578992074.png

Then go to the USDOT Foreign Manufacturer Listing Hazmat Approvals

And download the spreadsheet listing. Scroll down until you find the "M" number of "M0814" as stamped on the shoulder of the tank in the Amazon review.

To my way of reading that sounds like "Zhejiang Winner Fire Fighting Equipment Co., Ltd." located at "Qinglong Road, Xinhuang, Fenqiao Town, Nanhu District, Jiaxing City, Zhejiang China"

To me that sounds like a world away from Chicagoland.

Anybody got pic of their Cyl-Tec cylinder with neck stampings they'd care to contribute? The one pictured in the Amazon review may not be entirely accurate. However, seems to be the same valve design shown online for Cyl-Tec that is different than Thermo/XS, San-o-Sub/Blue Steel, Sherwood or Genesis valves.

I had a bunch of 200cf oxygen bottles from the early 1900s. Circa 1911.
Just to put that into perspective at the same time John Browning was patenting the Model 1905 as an 0.45" ACP followed by his 1911 patent and three years later the First World War. Nice to see quality American engineering in its prime and still working.

OP here. Thanks, all, for the comments.

FWIW, this liveaboard has NETC cylinders, but a land-based resort I stayed at last week had all Luxfer S80s. However, none was in hydro. I found one from 2008 that had never been hydro'd. I didn't think to check this until my last day there.

This is China manufactured.

Yeah but this is China manufactured "meat and potatoes" Mechanical engineering.
Where the "meat" is rancid and the "potato's" are riddled full of inclusions.

China can make quality products, but there is a tendency to want to make a quick buck right now by selling the cheapest product they can rather than care about a long term relationship. As since it is a long distance relationship, they can close the company that had the bad reputation down, and start up again under a new name.

But there are some that are willing to establish to good reputation DJI and Anker to name two completely Chinese companies that care about their brand.

Smart marketing would be to stamp a born on date within the window of the standard. Then stamp a current retest date for selling.
If you are bootlegging, you always need to find the loophole.

Reminds me of some oxygen cylinders I had in the states.
I had a bunch of 200cf oxygen bottles from the early 1900s. Circa 1911. They were stamped ICC-3A.
That is it, no working pressure or test information. Turns out, it was fairly common and my re-tester was familiar.
According to him, they used to stamp 1800 after it, test for that pressure, and stamp them with a fresh hydro. Laws changed over the years and there was a rule that they couldn't test a cylinder without a pressure rating and they were no longer allowed to stamp them prior to test. But all of the cylinders they had stamped themselves prior had a stamped working pressure and were allowed to be retested.
He gave them back to me with the explanation that he couldn't test them as is, but if they had 1800 stamped on them, he could test and certify them. 20 minutes with some stamps and a sledge, they went to test and they are still floating around in the Linde/Airgas system somewhere being used daily over 100 years after manufacture.
3A wowzers. Good thing those were 1800 psi, they must have been heavy even at that pressure rating.

3A wowzers. Good thing those were 1800 psi, they must have been heavy even at that pressure rating.
Incredibly.

I'm diving in Indonesia now and am using a cylinder I don't recognize. Here are the marks on the shoulder:
The compressor providing your breathing gas may be another piece of kit you should take a look at.

Just for comparison this article and spare a thought for the local working divers

Local supplied air harvesters pushing things way past the limits with dodgy shop compressors is not limited to Indonesia. It happens in the USA too.

China can build iPhones and send robots to Mars, so they certainly have the ability to achieve high quality.

FWIW, the nitrox membrane system on the liveaboard with the Chinese cylinders was made by NRC International.

I was impressed with the dive operation, certainly more than I was at a land-based Raja Ampat resort I stayed at right before this trip.

You want to put Chinese made Tanks with 3000PSI/207Bar pressure on your back or be close to where they fill them, you do that not me :)

I have a team that audits and troubleshoots "copper" network cables made in China that are filled with "Tin" or Aluminum instead of copper. They cause havoc with network performance especially when cable run is more than 15 meters. They come to us because the client doesn't know what's going on inside their network and why they have intermittent issues while their users are screaming at the IT manager. They spent millions on their switches and routers but "saved" money with their cabling using Chinese network cables. Network cables are "meat-and-potatoes" but in China are rotten meat-and-potatoes.
You have to send them back to China to get filled.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom