Married folks - wedding question

What are your feeling on your wedding

• I did a smaller island destination wedding and now wish I had did a traditional wedding at home

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We did small family wedding in a church. But I married in the church that my Mom married my Dad, and some other family members married in. Too bad that church wasn't in the Bahamas!!

If you want to keep the cost down, the best way to do it is simply be honest and be up front. It doesn't matter if you stay at home or do a destination.

Say, "I want my Mom and Dad and my grandparents there and we'll have our reception for all the friends and family at another time."

Most people don't want to sit at the wedding anyway, they just want to party with you after.

That's sweet that you got marrired there. I wanted to do a similar thing but my SO isn't Catholic and I don't know if I feel like going through that kind of ordeal just to get married there.

I'm with the folks who have said a lot of it comes down to cost, and who you want at your wedding.

I had a moderate-sized wedding and reception (about 100 people) and I really enjoyed it, which was my goal. I would not have been able to share the day with most of those people, had I had my wedding out of town. One thing I got from doing it the way I did, was an album of photographs of people who were dear to me, but from whom I have since, by time and life changes, been separated. Those photographs mean a lot.

This is pretty much my story also.

The wedding if for the bride much more than it is for the groom. So it's your call.

If you are really unsure, then do the destination wedding as a part of Mom's recovery and only invite immediate family.

Then when you are back home have a reception and invite whomever you want.

You really don't want to spend a lot of money for something you are not sure of (the fancy part of the wedding not the wedding itself) and that you might regret later!

The poll here is far from scientific, but I find myself somewhat fascinated with the results so far. 8 had big weddings and wouldn't change, 7 had big and would go with a smaller island wedding if they did it over...so nearly 50% of the people that had big weddings would do it a small island wedding if they had it to do over. Only 2 had small weddings, but 100% of them would do it that way again. It will be interesting to see if the numbers stay that way over time...

That's sweet that you got marrired there. I wanted to do a similar thing but my SO isn't Catholic and I don't know if I feel like going through that kind of ordeal just to get married there.

yeah, we're not catholic! but I did make him wear his AirForce blues :wink:

Another thing is you can always do a destination vow renewal. That's what I want! And I totally want to wear a crazy color wedding gown like blue or pink or red or....

yeah, we're not catholic! but I did make him wear his AirForce blues :wink:

Another thing is you can always do a destination vow renewal. That's what I want! And I totally want to wear a crazy color wedding gown like blue or pink or red or....

reading offbeatbride.com as much as I do has made me want a short white dress with crazy colored crinoline LOL

My wife and I got married 32 years ago off Lucaya Bahamas, 25 ft underwater...Would not have changed a thing

Joe

I wish I would have skipped the wedding all together and just became a rock star.

If you could do the wedding thing all over again, would you opt for a traditional church wedding and fun reception at home or would you opt for an island resort wedding with family and friends? a lot of my friends that are recently married keep telling me if they could do it all over again they wouldn't do a big traditional wedding, but then again I don't want to feel like I missed out on anything.

Also, if you did do a resort wedding I'm open to suggestions :D

Poll coming...

We got married on Leap day and the side of a ski run in Lake Tahoe... We lived in Tahoe at the time and decided to have little to no one show up since we had been shacking up for 5 or so years... Some really good friends showed up and all of us along with the minister just stopped in the middle of a run; gave a brief ceremony, and finished up the run! Great day of skiing...

Cost us only the price of the licenses and about a dozen lift tickets....! Beautiful and I would not change anything...!!! Nada, still bringing me smiles! :)

lee

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom