marsa alam diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pughio83

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Im off to marsa alam for a week end sept. Any advice of good dive sites. Mainly land based but i see also some companies do day trips to elphinstone. Any recommended dive centres? ive heard emporer divers are ok. I know liveabaord is better but im with a non diver. Any good sites for pelagics good to know.

thanks for site info. Staying at iberotel coraya in coray bay. Probably dive with both hotel dive centre and emporer divers as def want to dive elphinstone, samadai.

Hotel was lovely, food great, facilites great. i didnt like the dive centre and have written a small report on another thread which you can find. The diving was ok though i missed all the big stuff so was a bit disappointed and as i like macro a lot, there wasnt much when compared to asia. But if you like egpyt diving then it shouldnt disappoint!!

I stayed at the Iberotel Coraya, which was a very nice hotel. The iberotel lamaya was on the other side of the bay but all connected and was also nice. The dive centre was Coraya divers. The hotel is isolated and about 15mins drive from Port ghalib where you can dive emporer divers but is a hassle if you stay at the iberotels. However a friend who was there the same time started off at emporer and left them because service was poor and trips to the better sites like elphinstone was not guaranteed in a week. Coraya divers had good facilities, lots of daily diving and was very busy. I didnt like the fact that you had to cart your gear around between multiple places, the dm's were shocking and if you like to have space on a dive, ie be more than 3ft from the dm then forget it because they just constantly rattle these little noise makers which is highly annoying. I ended up doing dives with my friend with no guide because diving was NOt fun with dm's. They will let you dive any site unguided which is a bit risky if you dont know the sites but my best dives were self guided and actually saw some marine life. The dms had minimal knowledge of the marine life and failed o show me anything in the 12 dives i did. Also they make you do a refresher dive with skills and charge you for it, even if you are an instructor and dived a week ago!!

If you want to do land based in that area Red Sea Diving Safaris Marsa Shagra Camp is good. They are just inside Elphinstone and have two zodiacs every morning going out there (7am and 9am if my memory serves me right). Besides truck dives to nearby coastal reefs every day, you can also dive as much as you like on the house reef which is surprisingly good. And you don't need a DM for that. Just grab your buddy, a tank in the DC, write your dive plan on a board and go into the water. Zodiacs are available for free if you want to be taken a little farther down or up the coast. I found it to be good value and suitable for someone who wants to do a lot of diving.

Back
Top Bottom