Marsoops All-In-One Mask Strap Cover & Floating Mask Case

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

coconutvee

Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting a ScubaPro Frameless Single Window Mask and changing the strap to a Marsoops All-In-One Mask Strap. Would this be a good choice for Tech diving. I'm just getting into tech diving and may be going the DIR route just to become a better diver and learn all I can about my favorite sport. My instructor tells me that I should replace the strap on my mask since it could break with time. I'm using a SeaVision 2000 now and want to get a clear mask. What would be a good choice of mask and strap? Thanks for all your help.

It is attached to a Cressi Big-Eyes now. The Cressi is a good mask. I suppose someone out there knows of a better one :)

The marsoops make the mask float. This is great for surface stuff, but you are guaranteed to lose the mask if you let it go and don't catch it before it "falls" to the surface.

So for deco diving I would say skip it, otherwise they are fine.

Peter

What would be a better alernative to the standard mask starps that come with most masks? Its my understanding that the rubber can dry rot or break, how likely is that to happen?

Not sure what a "marsoops" is, but Iv'e got a slap strap-neoprene-as a replacement for my original strap on my mask. It's a lot more comfortable, and it floats also.

The one problem (or advantage, depending on how you look at it) with slap-straps is that they will actually make many masks nearly neutrally bouyant. This is a bad thing if you happen to lose the mask while on the surface as the mask won't sink or swim, it'll just drift (thinking of my Horizon that's still probably floating mid-water in Twin Lakes from last year...) Marsoops will make masks positively bouyant (last time I looked, they guaranteed it), and the good 'ole standard strap will let the mask sink.

i have a marsoops strap on my scubapro cristal vu... good comfort, and it sure does float (even with snorkel). could be a problem if your 30 meters deep, mask comes off and before you know it your mask is at the surface. but then again, with the potential route your going with diving you'll likely have a spare mask anyway.

its pretty simple really, if you determine that you want the mask to go up if it comes off - go for it. in addition to floating, it opens up and wraps the mask providing added protection against damages.

but all in all - rubber straps are fine, if you inspect and maintain your equipment properly you shouldnt get to the point where rubber straps are cracking off the mask.

ps. i dont know how i came across this ancient thread. but in the spirit of halloween i thought id bring it back from the dead.

How many of you have actually used one of these?

I have them on each of my masks, except my backup since I want a smaller strap in the pocket.

They do a great job of floating your mask at the surface. They won't float a mask with a heavy snorkel. Floating or not, if you lose a black mask with a black Marsoops strap in the surf zone, you have a pretty slim chance of recovering it... doubly slim if it's at night.

Starting about 10' down, they won't necessarily float your mask with a light snorkel, either. The neoprene compresses too much and it no longer has enough lift.

Starting about 30' down (let alone during deep tech dives), they're not floating anything beefier than a cheap set of swim team goggles. A standard mask is negative enough, and the neoprene is compressed enough, that it drift down.

Attach a snorkel to a mask and swim it down to the bottom of a 12' pool, and it's going to stay there.

Hello,

Does anybody here know an online dive shop located in Europe selling the Marsoops mask strap?

Buying it from US without any other purchase is not very attractive, because from leisurepro the mask strap costs ~25$ and the freight ~75$.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom