Mask, cleaning, fogging, etc.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It really helps to avoid the fog problem if you put your mask on before your face gets wet and then leave it there until you are done diving. Yup. A little anti-fog and a dry face. That's the ticket!

I heard that you know when you have rubbed all that film off the lens when you can make a 'squeeking' sound with your finger when you rub it against a wet mask. Kinda squeeky clean I guess.

Spit. Just remember you have to spit in your mask well enough in advance for it to dry.

The problem is divers try this once and give up because they spit just before they get in the water, forget it it doesn't work. The latest you can do it is when preparing for the dive at the beach or on the boat, spit in your mask and rub it around before you put on your first piece of equipment. The 20-30 minutes it takes to suit up and get into the water is plenty of time for it to dry.

Here is the best trick. Remember the rule ... the last thing I do before I'm all done cleaning my gear and hanging it to dry ... spit in my mask. That crusty surface comes right off even months later in fresh or salt water and absolutely no fog.

Rule: You can spit, you can spit in your mask, you can't spit in your friends mask.

I use genuine Uncle Pug mask defogger... made with 100% pure UPS (Uncle Pug Spit)...

You can order it in small bottles but I prefer to use it straight from the source, and if you come out for a dive with me I'll let you have some of the fresh stuff too...

Also be sure to order some Uncle Pug "Goober Luber" O2 compatible o-ring lubricant... also works to tame unruly hood-hair after the dive.

BTW... I always use the UPS just before rinsing and donning the mask... never let it dry in your mask or hair.

Hands down the best way to keep your mask from fogging up is to wax the inside and outside of your lenses. NEVER FOGS UP....EVER.....AND LASTS FOR WEEKS! The detailers wher i work wax the inside and outside windshields of the cars to prevent foggin, and told me to try it out for my mask.....it worked.

I've had good experiences with Aquaseal Sea Gold Defog... works well if you follow the instructions. Unlike other defogs, you can apply it and rinse ahead of time, rather than leaving it until the last minute. Can be hard to find, though.

Buy liquid glass wax. It fills the microscopic holes in glass, and leaves a invisible layer of wax that can only be removed by harsh agents, so it wont wear out, and it prevents your mask from fogging up ever. Only use if you have a good mask lense. You'll be glad you did.

I would go with 500 PSI Mask Defog or good old spit. But to me 500 PSI Mask Defog works better. Maby I have some bad quality spit or something?

Tekkie

:stupid:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom