Mask clearing is my #1 skill...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

popsiclediver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
OK, I never thought I'd resort to this, but I'm asking for input....
I must have the weirdest-shaped face because I haven't been able to find a mask that fits without getting snootfulls or eyefulls of water. I have had 3 masks in under 2 yrs.
My LDS carried TUSA. My first mask was a two-lens Imprex that fit great until I lost a bit of weight. then it started leaking just below and beside my nose. Then I got a dry suit and put on the hood and it made the leaking even worse.
Next I tried the new TUSA Selene from a different shop. It was not too bad, but when it did eventually leak, it has such a high volume that it took two breaths to clear the darned thing. It, too leaks with the hood on.
I thought my prayers would be answered with the Mares Liquidskin. Surprisingly, it is absolutely unbearable! when its not leaking (which is RARE!) any water that happens to be hiding at the bottom of the lens floats into my field of vision while I am looking downwards to get the perfect photo.
I am at the end of my rope after yesterday. I had thought that maybe it was any current that I was in that was causing problems. I was in the pool yesterday and swimming along, I could see the bubbles escaping from the mask skirt of the Liquidskin from below my nose. The ONLY time it does not leak is when my head is pointed downwards, and then, any leftover water fills my field of vision.
I know this is long, but I am at my wits end.
All of the masks sealed properly in the shop. I know I have a small head, but I CANNOT wear a Junior mask. I have to be cross eyed just to see out! Two others I am interested in are the Atomic and a Cressi.
Does anyone else have any hints?
TIA
Poppy

OK, I never thought I'd resort to this, but I'm asking for input....
I must have the weirdest-shaped face because I haven't been able to find a mask that fits without getting snootfulls or eyefulls of water. I have had 3 masks in under 2 yrs.

See if you can find someone with a SCUBAPro XQ (Tri-view?) mask that you can borrow. It's a big boxy thing with a single lens in front and two nice glass size-windows.

Because of it's size, it has a lot of sealing area and fits a lot of people very well, where other masks don't.

It's not made anymore, but if you like it, you can still find them on eBay.

You should also try the new Atomic masks. They're very low volume have an excellent seal and and come in two sizes.

Terry

If a mask fits in the shop, it fits out of the shop. You are probably trying them in the shop using less than the best method. Go into the shop with a friend. When the shop person comes to help, politely decline their assistance. Very few of them know how to properly fit a mask. They almost always want to press the mask to your face which will cause a poorly fitting mask to seem to fit.

1. Pick up a mask.
2. Tilt your head back until you are looking straight up at the ceiling.
3. Place the mask on your face.
4. Let go of the mask, letting gravity and gravity alone hold it in place.
5. Have your friend walk around you looking at the seal of the mask. If it isn't in contact with your face all around the skirt, reject it and start over with another mask. If it looks good, move to # 6.
6. Sniff in.
7. While continuing to sniff in, bring your head down until you are looking straight ahead. If the mask has a good seal and feels good, it fits.
8. Buy the mask that fits.
9. If the clerk insists on getting you a new mask in the box, take it out of the box and try it before you buy it. The same exact model may not fit, make sure you try the exact same mask you take home before buying it.

I went through four masks before I found one that didn't seep. All of them seemed to seal well in the shop, using the "light pressure with the fingertips" sealing technique. All of them worked, sort of, but they'd slowly seep water. The last one I bought is a Deep Sea mask, and on most dives, it doesn't leak a single drop. It was amazing to discover that I could do a whole dive without having to clear my mask!

So, I guess I don't have any good advice on how to tell on land whether a mask will work in the water, but there is hope of finding one that will, if you keep at it.

make sure you try them on with your regulator in your mouth. It makes a huge difference.

If you can, try on some Sea Vision masks. Not all of their models fit the same, so try them all. I've become very difficult to fit any more. So far my best fits are with:

#1, Sea Vision Ultra. Best fit so far
#2, Subapro Crystalview. Pretty good. Great on occassion.

I tried on a Dive Right frameless mask that fit pretty good. Need to try again when I have my reg with me.

That's it. I haven't tried every mask out there, but I have tried a LOT & so far those are the only ones I can dive with.

I have never had a mask fall off my face while even lightly 'sniffing in', and it doesnt have anything to do with shop clerks 'helping' me make up my mind. I have been to almost every dive shop in the Toronto area, and have only found 3 masks so far that even pass the 'sniff test'. I have a weird-shaped face. I thought the LiquidSkin would be the answer, but went back to the Tusa, which only leaks a little, which was almost heaven. I wear an XS motorcycle helmet and baseball caps dont fit me. I'm half Asian. I'm 5'6" and >120 lbs. -masks fit til I lost weight! Maybe that makes a difference? Maybe I should slather on the silicone lube on my top lip? Mmmm, attractive!
I suggested the Atomic and the Cressi because they are new in my area, and wondered if anyone had some constructive comparison before I shell out another $100+.

I have a weird-shaped face. I thought the LiquidSkin would be the answer, but went back to the Tusa, which only leaks a little, which was almost heaven. I wear an XS motorcycle helmet and baseball caps dont fit me. I'm half Asian. I'm 5'6" and >120 lbs. -masks fit til I lost weight! Maybe that makes a difference? Maybe I should slather on the silicone lube on my top lip? Mmmm, attractive!

Check out the hydro-optix mask.

It's made for small faces.

Terry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom