mask corrective lens

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

maxviz

Registered
Reaction score
HI All i want to get corrective lenses for my mask. i need +1.75 but the lens manufacturer go up in 0.5 steps should i go +1.5 or +2? Guess there will be some sort of correction for being in water! or can anyone point me to info about this?

If you do nothing else, round up.

There's a lot more to corrective lenses then just correcting your distance prescription. What about reading your gauges? Looking at small stuff only a couple of feet away? You're certainly wearing either bifocals, multifocals or separate distance and near vision glasses. Correcting only the distance part of your Rx is only half the equation.

Just to be clear, you're correcting for far-sightedness, due to + numbers and not for near-sightedness, - numbers?

I got a prescription mask with 1.50 glass. My "distance" glasses on shore are 1.75. The water adds a slight magnifying effect, so yeah I rounded "down" a little, which works fine..

My "reading" glasses are 3.5 or so on shore.

So, to read gauges (left hand side on my rig) up close, I have a small stick-on corner magnifier in the lower left side of the left mask glass. I believe it's a 2.00 which, added to the mask glass, gives 3.5.

I doubt I am unique in this regard, for someone who wears trifocals on shore.
Getting old is so cool.....;-)

You might consider disposable contact lenses. I use one close up lens and one distance lens. Works great!

i took the advice off another thread to try a mask with a reading prescription of only +1.0. With the addititive magnification of water, it’s a bit stronger and works pretty well. In addition, if you use Amazon-fu in search, you can find far sighted masks. The cheapest price is usually the +1.0. Nothing to loose by trying it out. Here’s a pair for $13:

https://www.amazon.com/Scuba-Choice...dpPl=1&dpID=518E2DoMlrL&ref=plSrch&th=1&psc=1

Back
Top Bottom