Mask Fit Issues

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As I mentioned in a similar thread, we've been on two trips in Indonesia with a dive guide who has no strap on his mask. He relies entirely on water pressure to hold his mask in place. That's a good illustration of how critical the mask strap is(n't). This is obviously not a good strategy for a new diver, but is still worth understanding.

Tightening the mask strap on a mask that dose not fit properly to begin with will usually make the problem worse not better. The most overlooked part of testing the mask for proper fit is to have a snorkel or regulator in your mouth when you are doing the test.

Try one of the Hollis M series masks. I was trying one out at my LDS last week and found the M3 to be very comfortable. Not to mention they are cool looking to but then again I am becoming a Hollis fan...:wink:

The dry fit (no strap, slight inhale) is a good but not best way in my humble opinion. Trying the new mask in the water is sure fire. If the shop doesn't have a pool, ask if you can return/try another mask when you buy. If they don't want to give you that option, go to another shop.

Don't cinch the mask straps down too tight.

However, I have EIGHT masks and only one of them truly fitted me well. I barely found this nirvana of a mask last week.

I don't know about others, but for me it was an exercise in frustration the last six years.

I had the same problem, but water was running in at my nose... You basically have to go to a shop and put a mask on your face and suck air in through your nose so it sticks, then face down
and if it doesnt fall, it fits. This is what they told me but it didnt really work :/
I had to try out many models... using an italian model now which is fine (spetton)
regards

The problem with the inhalation through the nose as a method to test mask fit is that, if you provide ENOUGH suction, almost any mask will stay in place. You need very GENTLE suction, which is why I recommend placing the mask on the face, holding your breath, and pushing in on the mask. Just enough air will be displaced out of the mask to create a mild vacuum; this is enough to test the mask's seal.

As many have already mentioned mask fit is quite important. A nice day of diving is not so much fun when you have a mask that constantly fills up with water or is too tight, etc.

We make masks in three sizes to help provide the optimum fit: Apollo Sports: Dive Gear: Masks: Bio Metal

Definitely buy one from your LDS, the price difference is usually negligible. A lot of people swear by the Cressi Big Eye and HOG masks. Both are inexpensive (purchased my Cressi from Leisurepro, used for $24).
If you can get ahold of either mask, I'm sure you'll be happy. I also have a "small head" and the Cressi works well with me. Are you using a hood by any chance?

I want to thank everyone for the great advice....I did visit a LDS with a better selection of mask, explained my issue and the first mask the handed me (ScubaPro Solara) worked perfectly. I'm officially OW Certified....the Instructors at St Thomas Dive Club were wonderful as well as the diving there. Thanks for the encouragement to not give up...so glad now I didn't.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom