Mask fit & leakage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shaving was, for me, the biggest key for a leak free mask.

this (not shaving) used to be a problem for me, but it doesn't seem to be anymore.

i think for this sort of thing masks tend to fit better over time, a bit like sneakers :p

Let me second what dF said....if you find that you exhale through your nose (I did it and wasn't even aware of it for the longest time!), you will always get some leakage. Make a conscious effort to exhale only through your mouth.

As others have mentioned, you may want to try loosening the mask strap to make sure you are not warping the shape of the skirt.

One further comment....finding a mask that fits you perfectly and never leaks a drop is a goal everyone strives for! Finding THE ONE is a difficult task....I still have not found it, but I have found one that works well for me. I don't know if "the one" is out there for me, so I am happy with what I've got until I accidentally donate it to the ocean, at which point I'll resume the search!

It's amazing how many masks seem to fit beautifully in the store, but end up leaking a little bit in the water. I don't know the reason for it. But I've learned to test mask fit by putting the mask on my face with no strap, and gently putting a little pressure on it with my fingertips, and then releasing it. If it won't stay, it doesn't fit. If it will stay, it still may not fit, but your chances are better.

I think it was the fourth mask I bought that was finally absolutely, utterly bone dry. I prize that mask.

And sometimes it's just plain hard to find a mask that fits good depending on your face and bone structure. My boy has a lot of trouble with that, so I ever so kindly offered to adjust his face to fit the mask but alas he declined my help:)

Ahh kids and diving. I know how you feel. Cant live with them and ya cant kill'em.:shocked2::D

Mask fit is all about.. well fit. I thought I had the perfect mask fit with a Aqualung Mythos. Then I discovered that the XVision fitted better. Then I tried the Atomic subframe, and that is the mask for me.

Unfortunately your need to try some different masks, and it's not really easy to do, even in a pool. I went through three plus, and finally found what I was looking for, but mask fit is something that some divers deal with over a lot of time before they find what fits best.

IMO if it leaks at ALL, keep looking. Another factor is view. I like a wide view.. and it is worth finding a mask that affords a good view without leakage.

I did the math, you aren't as young as you used to be. With a reg in your mouth or perhaps being just a little tense those wrinkles or lines are causing the leak. Keep trying, all of the info above is helpful. Stay away from a mask skirt that is stiff and maybe stick with low volume masks. I know about that stuff cause I ain't as young as I used to be either.

I have found that the location of the strap across the back of my head effects my seal. Too high or too low and it leaks. When I position it just right across the ball on the back of my head it works sooo sweet.

Back
Top Bottom