Mask fit troubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Saltair

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I have a question about mask fit. My wife started her open water course last night. The class is all guys and she was a little intimidated so I tagged along to help her feel more comfortable. When they got to the pool portion she had a problem with her mask. Whenever she opened her mouth to put the regulator in it broke the seal on the bottom of her mask around her cheeks and nose. Obviously having her mask fill up every time she went under was not a great experience for her. The instructor seems pretty knowledgeable from a technical standpoint, but he spent no time with her regarding the problems she was having fitting into male gear and had no idea about the mask issue. The shop is small and just getting off the ground so the selection of gear for the courses is limited and she will likely have to deal with the ill fitting equipment, but the mask issue needs to be solved. Has anybody seen this before? She tried on two other styles, mine and the instructors, and they all leaked, though mine worked a little better. Is this just a matter of trying more types? The standard shop fit, drawing suction through your nose, indicated the mask she was wearing should work. She could reseal the mask after the regulator was in her mouth, but as soon as she opened her mouth, i.e. regulator recovery and clearing drills the mask filled up. If an instructor out there has seen this before can anybody point us to a style that may work better? Being way up in the northeast shops are few and far between and selections are not always that great.

They make small mask for children (TWINGO) which is dirt cheap. The other small, but better quality mask is CORONA, but is slightly bigger. Your wife might do very well with the TWINGO, but you might want to replace the strap to make it more comfortable. They used to make Rx lesnses for these 2 masks too... Check into it.

This is why putting a mouthpiece or at least a snorkel in your mouth when trying masks is suggested.

The only real answer is trying more masks with a mouthpiece in place. AquaDive Academy on Commercial street in Portland probably has the best selection in the state.

You obviously appreciate the importance of getting this right so I'll say no more. Wish her luck in her class!

Pete

Hey Terry, I just realized it's you. Maybe we can get out with the wifes once she's certified and the water warms up.

Most manufactures make a exhast extension for the mouth piece. In essence what it does is moves the exhasted air away from the mask a few inches more. It makes all the difference in the world for a mask that isn't quite fitting right. The other suggestion is to go to your LDS and just get a mask that fits right. It sounds simple but its an important step in selecting a mask to fit the face.

If we can be of assistance please let me know.

Happy Diving

There's another tack: try a small mouthpiece, if that will fit her.

I asked about the smaller mouthpiece, but I never thought about a kids mask, though I was thinking smaller might be the answer.

spectrum:
Hey Terry, I just realized it's you. Maybe we can get out with the wifes once she's certified and the water warms up.

I hope so Pete, she really wanted to try this, but was not at all happy with the way the first night went. We will probably be making the rounds this weekend trying to find a better mask fit.

Tough the first time you go under to have the mask continually filling up around your nose. I remember what it was like I really felt for her.

Saltair:
I asked about the smaller mouthpiece, but I never thought about a kids mask, though I was thinking smaller might be the answer.

I hope so Pete, she really wanted to try this, but was not at all happy with the way the first night went. We will probably be making the rounds this weekend trying to find a better mask fit.

Tough the first time you go under to have the mask continually filling up around your nose. I remember what it was like I really felt for her.

Be patient with her, tell her to be patient with herself and to accept nothing less from her instructors. This is an adaptation and many times getting the gear fine tuned takes a bit. It will be worth the effort.

Also make sure she does not wear the mask too tight. That will make the seal splay out and it then won't be able to conform to her face.

Pete

One other point...look for some of the newer masks with the "mid" skirts. (I think Mares makes a few...a version of the X-Vision and the ProVision with a smaller skirt). You might also look at the masks in the Mares "SheDives" line...designed for women/smaller faces. (As much as my significant other hates that line of gear..lol).

Just a couple of thoughts...

Cheers,
Austin

Cressi Lince and Oceanic Mini Shadow are other great small face masks.

As for fitting the mask, don't inhale. This creates an artificial seal and will hide imperfections in fit. The method I use is to look up and the ceiling and place the mask on the face. Have another person check around the entire skirt to make sure it matches the contours of the face.

One more for you, Typhoon T4 or ladies mask are smaller

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom