Mask for very sensitive eyes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Deepblue7

New
Reaction score
I'm headed to maui with my family in a couple of weeks and can't wait to do some diving and snorkeling. My 72 year old father loves to snorkel, however after a detached retina, multiple eye surgeries, and suffering from thyroid eye disease, my dad doesn't go out in bright sunlight without heavily tinted wrap around sunglasses. Unfortunately last year he didn't snorkel for the first time because he couldn't find a mask that was tinted? Does anyone have any recommendations or suggestions? Im not concerned about altering colors, and remember this is a mask just for snorkeling, but I'd love for him to be able to snorkel again.

If you google “mask tint scuba” (or “mask tint snorkel&#8221:wink: you’ll find there are several tinted masks. The challenge will likely be finding one that is tinted dark enough and that fits well. For this you and your father might want to visit a scuba shop and explain the situation. Hopefully they’ll be able to fit your father with a brand that provides tinted lenses. They might have to order it with the right tint, but a well-stocked shop may be able to help.

good luck,

k

Scubapro makes a tinted and mirrored version of the Spectra with a black skirt that might work

Seal 2.0 - Smoke Lens - I know nothing about it. "UV-protection 100%" is listed.

Sold on Amazon or on swimming gear websites. About $40.

Capture.JPG

I think the problem with most dive coated masks is that they're for spearo's and designed to cut glare but let more light in.

If you google “mask tint scuba” (or “mask tint snorkel&#8221:wink: you’ll find there are several tinted masks. The challenge will likely be finding one that is tinted dark enough and that fits well. For this you and your father might want to visit a scuba shop and explain the situation. Hopefully they’ll be able to fit your father with a brand that provides tinted lenses. They might have to order it with the right tint, but a well-stocked shop may be able to help.

Second that. The advantage for your father is that he could get to try the various tints to see which works best for him.

If you have a mask with removable lenses, an optician can tint them easily.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom