Mask off skill difficulty

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jenlaur

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am about to do my second confined water class. I have to repeat my mask off for one minute skill because I was not able to do it in the first class. I have practiced but still cannot seem to accomplish this basic skill. I get water up my nose every time. Today I practiced two different times in my pool and was unable to do it. I have tried breathing out of my nose and in through my snorkel. I have tried breathing through my snorkel with my tongue on the roof of my mouth (heard that helps) with no luck. I am getting very discouraged and am ready to quit. Why can't I do this basic skill. One thing's for sure....my sinuses are thoroughly irrigated from all of my practice!

Often, important skills are left out of OW classes. Take your time and practice each step until you are comfortable before moving to the next.

Leave your SCUBA gear in your bag. You only need 2 things at the pool at this point. 1. Snorkel 2. Weight belt with weight.

At no point will you leave the shallow end of the pool.

Take your snorkel off your mask and put on your weight belt. With your mask on the pool deck, your snorkel in your hand and your weight belt on, get into the shallow end of the pool. You should be where when you stand you are no deeper than chest deep, waist deep is even better. Put your snorkel in your mouth and breathe from it. Now, bend over and breathe through your snorkel while you dip your face into the water. If you are comfortable, stay awhile until you feel natural. If you have difficulty, think about drinking through a straw while you practice the excercise. Remember, you can always stand up straight to end the excercise at any time. If you need to, you can slowly build up your time until you feel comfortable.

I suggest you take a deep pan of water and sit at the kitchen type table for the right hight and practice just putting your face into the pan and blow bubbles! Do until your bored with it and do it more! Then add your snorkel and let a small stream of bubbles out of your nose! Repeat until it means nothing to you! You're experiencing a reflexive action having to do with your face being in water and you can't think it away! You have train the reflex to stop by being comfortable with your face in water! Give it a try, you might surprise yourself how simple this is to fix! Good luck!

Hi I had similar problems in my OW course and found this forum thread very handy Mask Clearing - Water Up Nose - BSAC Scuba Diving Forums

What helped me in the end was snorkling in my bathroom sink (with no mask on) as it got me over breathing in through my nose at the same time as my mouth. I used to do 5min snorkels there :p Also I would put water in my mask and just keep it on my face for a bit to get used to the sensation. Use cold water though as that will be more realistic. Papa Bear is right, it was a simple fix in the end :)

Anyway, a lot of people have your issue so don't feel bad. It is surmountable though with lots of practice so don't give up! Good luck.

The bathtub did it for me....

Nice warm non threatening environment, clean the tub first. On your belly knees down at the drain. You can practice snorkel breathing, basic mask clearing etc. Start warm and cool the tub as you go. When you feel good with that take it to the pool and repeat. When you're all good with it it's then time for the cylinder, BC and regulator.

Walk before you run, we all have our own adaptive challenges. Trust me, it will be worth the effort.

Pete

The biggest reason for failing this is students blow too much air out of their nose, usually it requires only a small light steady amount of air. Stop before you are forced to take a large breath. If any water is still in the mask, try one more, slow and easy exhale through your nose. Remember, you’re not blowing your nose, just putting a little air in the mask to displace the water.

My wife has the same problem when she cert a while ago. She pinch her nose after removing her mask and breath through her mouth on reg, some people has problem not breathing through their nose.

Last edited:
The biggest reason for failing this is students blow too much air out of their nose, usually it requires only a small light steady amount of air.

Id go with that - ive seen a LOT try one really hard forceful blow through the nose to clear and then they're out of breath and snort it back in. The key i found is to get them to kneel down without a mask on and practice breathing out through the nose for 5-10 seconds and repeating that for a few mins before trying mask clearing.

I am about to do my second confined water class. I have to repeat my mask off for one minute skill because I was not able to do it in the first class. I have practiced but still cannot seem to accomplish this basic skill. I get water up my nose every time. Today I practiced two different times in my pool and was unable to do it. I have tried breathing out of my nose and in through my snorkel. I have tried breathing through my snorkel with my tongue on the roof of my mouth (heard that helps) with no luck. I am getting very discouraged and am ready to quit. Why can't I do this basic skill. One thing's for sure....my sinuses are thoroughly irrigated from all of my practice!

You really need to be able to complete an entire dive without a mask, not just one minute.

What if you got a nose clip and wore it around the house, mow the yard, go to work --lol.

N

The next time you try the mask off skill, tilt you your head to the side. Some people are bothered by the exhaust bubbles from the regulator and they get water up their nose. Tilting your head to one side or the other will help divert the bubbles.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom