Mask off skill difficulty

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yea agree 100% Melicertes. I have had my mask kicked off once and dislodged another time already after 25 dives so mask clearing has come in handy. I usually do about two or so mask clears at the end of each dive at my safety stop just because it was my biggest stress when doing OW (I still hate doing them too!). I try them out in different positions to make sure I can clear ok. :)

I must admit the temptation to just avoid the skill after OW was strong but yea, not very safe in the long term as I have already discovered.

Yea agree 100% Melicertes. I have had my mask kicked off once and dislodged another time already after 25 dives so mask clearing has come in handy. I usually do about two or so mask clears at the end of each dive at my safety stop just because it was my biggest stress when doing OW (I still hate doing them too!). I try them out in different positions to make sure I can clear ok. :)

I must admit the temptation to just avoid the skill after OW was strong but yea, not very safe in the long term as I have already discovered.

Another thing that I tend to do is partial fill my mask and do the rest of the dive, or until I get irritated.Doesn't have to be half just enough to plug the nose.

crpntr133:
Another thing that I tend to do is partial fill my mask and do the rest of the dive, or until I get irritated.Doesn't have to be half just enough to plug the nose

Ok cool idea thanks. I think I will have to do that at the end of the dive though, I just hate water in my mask as the salt water bothers my eyes a lot. :) Maybe if the viz is bad I will try it as I won't miss much then :D

Not sure if you do this or not, but you should open your eyes when your mask is off. It should bring your stress level down a bit so you can concentrate on breathing through your mouth. Doing things in the dark is always more stressful.

Not sure if you do this or not, but you should open your eyes when your mask is off. It should bring your stress level down a bit so you can concentrate on breathing through your mouth. Doing things in the dark is always more stressful.
Not everyone can do this - people with contact lenses won't be so friendly when they've lost a lens while doing this. Also, some people find it less stressful to keep their eyes closed while others want the open. I guess it's one of those whatever works for you kinda things :D

Not everyone can do this - people with contact lenses won't be so friendly when they've lost a lens while doing this. Also, some people find it less stressful to keep their eyes closed while others want the open. I guess it's one of those whatever works for you kinda things :D

This goes to the reason behind the skill....if you lose your mask underwater (someone kicks it off, current, etc.) and you have your eyes closed, how do you find it? That is why I ask all my students who wear contacts to either dive without them or get lenses for their masks because I want the student to be able to see. Also, if it happens during an assent and the mask drops down into the abyss I want the diver to not panic and still be able to do a controlled ascent while watching their buddys'.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom