Mask/Panic Problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I always close my eyes during mask clearing. Just didn't like the burning of either salt or chorline.

Try using a snorkel and no mask in the pool. Just lie on the surface and relax and breathe. You don't even have to open your eyes.

The instructions from Walter in Dave's post are some of the best I've ever seen. I can't add to the basic premise. Once your learn those skills practice swimming the length of the pool and back without a mask. Do this without your contacts. If you can do this then mask flooding should never cause you another problem.

Prescription masks can be $$. Make sure you find a comfortable well fitting mask before you spring for the prescription lenses. Hopefully you can wear the disposable 3 day contacts. If so bring a few extra pair and don't worry about losing them. Most people don't lose their contacts when their mask floods and I haven't seen many instances where someone has lost both contacts at the same time. If this is still a concern for you practice closing one eye during your mask flood drills. That way you will only risk losing one contact and train yourself to retain the other.

Andi:

Do you wear regular contacts or 1-day disposables? I wear 1-day's when scuba diving because I like to be able to see clearly underwater (it takes away from the experience otherwise).

My eyes are pretty sensitive and no matter whether I'm in a fresh lake, the salty ocean or a chlorinated pool my eyes will get a bit sore regardless whether I open them or not underwater. It's not painful, just a fact of life. (And people asking me randomly if I've been smoking the wacky stuff...)

There's not really much to fear about having contacts underwater.. With 1-day's you won't care if you lose one (or both) underwater as they are easily replaced (I keep a whole blister pack in my dive bag)

With or without contacts, you won't be able to see anything without a mask on... I can see perfectly fine after removing/replacing/clearing my mask with the contacts in. There's really no need to have your eyes open while performing a mask removal/replacement. Even if it happened by accident, you will instinctively close your eyes while trying to fumble for the mask.

It definitely is important to learn the skill and practice doing it. However if water is pouring in your mask (or did it only seem the way) your mask may not fit. You should place it on your face without the strap and inhale slightly through your nose, it should stay on without holding it.

I wear contacts as well and had the exact same problem. I am actually way more than legally blind without my contacts.

I am now absolutely fine with clearing my mask, regardless of depth, and I can do maskless, but it is not my favorite.

I am not a fan of the prescirption masks. First, if you are like me, the mask is not convenient to wear at all times, but I have to have either the mask or the glasses on to see anything. If you are on a boat, you have to leave the mask on until you can find your glasses, which you have put in a safe place - where was that and god forbid the boat is pitching any. Or, if you are on the surface for a while either doing some chit chatting or some surface swimming, there is no taking the mask off, because then you can't see anything.

Now my eyes are very bad. I can't read my gauges without my prescription, so if you aren't that bad then you may be okay with little bits between your mask and finding your glasses, but it just doesn't work out for me very well.

I love the contacts though, and there is the small chance I will lose them under water. I keep spare lenses in my dry box and I keep my buddy aware of the issue.

Good luck, you can get over the mask thing. Just hang in there.

Paula

I am quite blind as well. I can barely see anything without my contacts/glasses, so your point is well taken. And to answer a couple of the other questions, I have 2 week wear contacts, so I certainly keep a spare around. My mask actually fits great. I think that maybe my hair was caught in it and it didn't make a good seal in the first place.

Again, thanks for all of your help, everyone. It's nice to know that I'm not the only one and that it is a problem that can be solved, with practice.. It sure would make diving a lot more enjoyable (not to mention, safer) to be totally comfortable with having water in my mask or having it off completely. It's funny.. I seem to be better having the mask completely off than I am having water trickle in (?). One thing is for sure though... I will not be diving at any depth (more than 20 ft, I think) until I am VERY comfortable with this skill.

Andi

Andi30:
One thing is for sure though... I will not be diving at any depth (more than 20 ft, I think) until I am VERY comfortable with this skill.

Andi
Keep in mind the last 20 feet is the plenty dangerous because the rate of pressure change is greatest near the surface. It's a good thought to be conservative, but staying above 20ft if you still feel you are apt to panic and hold your breath isn't really a way to stay safe.

This may sound silly and like it would scare you MORE, but... I say to myself "if I panic... I can die" and that pretty much makes me stay calm and think things through.
Angela

Hello Andi …

First off, let me assure you that what you experienced is common among people who are learning to dive. It’s one of the most frequent problems that instructors have to deal with.

Most humans are nose breathers … and when we feel water in our nose it makes us think that we will inhale the water and drown. Even when we KNOW that we’re breathing through our mouth and that we’re OK, our survival instinct kicks in and tries to force us to get our head out of the water. This is what’s causing the “panic” you’re experiencing. Think of it like in the movies, when someone’s dealing with an issue and there’s a little devil on one shoulder and a little angel on the other. The angel is the part of you who really wants to dive. The devil is the part that’s saying “get me the heck OUT of here”. You’re out to conquer the devil, and put the angel in control of your brain.

The good news is that it gets better with practice. I use Walter’s method when working with students in the pool who have this problem, and it’s effective. Usually it just takes a short session to progress as he describes to overcome the difficulty.

The only thing I’ll add (besides encouragement) is to take it slow, and don’t move on to the next phase until you’re comfortable. Panic is a diver’s worst enemy, and the one that will almost always cause you to do something that can hurt you. Make sure you “conquer the devil” in shallow water before progressing to something deeper.

… Bob (Grateful Diver)

Hey Andi,

All of the other posts seem to be right on in that practice and conditioning are really the best way to overcome your obstacle. I teach swimming lessons, and have incorporated snorkeling into my lessons for toddlers and adults that have never even been into the water or are just beginner swimmers. Subsequnetly I have had to come up with new and inventive ways to get faces in the water and overcome panic. Water in the face seems to be a very common panic inducer.
Practice suggestion:
Try reversing the process. In a swimming pool or other confined water space without scuba gear swim to the deep end of the pool, take off your mask, take a deep breath, and swim down a few feet eyes open or closed (I wear contacts too and I swim mith my eyes open and have never lost one). Then put the mask on under water and clear it. That way you will have started out with the water in your eyes and flooding and clearing will be your relief from water in your eyes. This seems to work on just about everyone. Most important thing is to get used to swimming with your eyes open underwater, then flooding and clearing wont bother you as much.

Back
Top Bottom