Mask vs Contact Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

radar

Reaction score
:confused:

Just looking for anyone who may have a couple of suggestions. I wear contacts and do not want to purchase a corrective mask right now(if ever). I am beginning my first OWC class this Sunday. Any hints on techniques that may make clearing my mask easier?? I have no idea what to expect and really do not care about loosing any lenses(I have disposables), but just want to make sure I pass the skill. Any input would be helpful to this newbie!!!! Just curious.

Tell your instuctor that you wear contacts. When you do the mask clearing partial & full close your eyes. They will tap( at least mine did) on your mask to let you know its partially full or completely full. Once you clear it they will tap on your mask again and you can open your eyes. I have gas permeables(spelling) contacts. I used my old pair. Didn't like closing my eyes so finally I just opened them and cleared my mask. No problems losing them. I just got back from Cayman Brac and used them down there. Worked great. Of course I didn't have to do a full mask clear:)

Good Luck on your OWC.

Jerry

I wear the one day disposables to dive. It was just never an issue in by basic course. When you take you mask off, close your eyes. Clearing, same thing. The one day disposibles I wear, which cost about $1.00 fit so well, I actually have a hard time getting them out.

Now about a perscription mask. A clown drops a weight belt and you are out of luck and a lot of money. Take your mask off on the surface, and you can't see. Disposible contacts, eaisly changed, and upgraded to your current perscription.

Down side, contacts can be tough to put in on a boat in rough seas.

Enjoy the class and the diving.

I dove with contacts for nearly 15 years from OW through Instructor level and the only time I ever had trouble was in fresh water, especially the pool. The chlorine really messed with them, made that stick to my eye lids and I'd loose them if I wasn't careful. I always made my Divemasters do all the mask removal and replacement demonstrations. I finally had LASIK surgery about 6 months ago and got rid of the contacts and glasses. It's worth every dime.

If your eye sight isn't to bad you might want to take the contacts out for the pool dives It's a PITA to try to finish the session with only one contact left in.

The only other time I ever had one come out, I didn't loose it, was when I removed my mask to early during a surf exit and a big wave hit me from the side. I didn't see it coming and it knocked one out of my eye. I was able to find it on my cheek and put it back in so at least I could see.

Good luck,

Scott

Here is what I do..

I wear contacts, but I have 2 masks a Mares ESA which you can easily have prescription lenses put in, that is a feature of this mask. I also carry my Tilos Panaramic for when I do feel like wearing my contacts.

Mares ESA 100.00
Prescription Lenses 65.00-80.00

= 170.00 ish

And you have a nice setup :)

I wear contacts (Torc's) while I dive I have no problem with them at all. When I did my cert. I told my instructor so when it came to the mask flooding I closed my eyes when I was done he tapped me on the shoulder.

I originally thought about getting perscription lenses but with my eyes I would have to get specially made lenses. More problems than it's worth.

If you can see half descently without contacts try that otherwise wear them while diving.

Enjoy your diving.

Lars

:)
Thanks for all your feedback!
I probably will just take them out for when I am doing the skill until I get it down pretty good.
Can't wait to get away from all these land lovers and join the ranks of SCUBA!

Radar,

Another thing to keep in mind, I forgot to mention it before, is that water tends to magnify things by about 25% and sometimes that actually makes things clear enough for a person who wears glasses or contacts to function without them while underwater. I have a buddy like that. His eyes aren't that bad so he wears glasses most of the time but underwater he says he sees just fine. :)

Have a great time in the class and let us know how it went when you're through.

Welcome, in advance, to the world of SCUBA.

Scott

I have recently taken my O/W with contacts and did not have a problem. My eyesight is not that back less than -0.4 in both eyes and I wear soft Toric lenses. During my pool sessions I did not wear them and like PadiPro stated I saw really well underwater with a mask. On my open water check out dives I did wear them and my instructor did the tap on the forehead thing and it worked well.
You shouldn't have any problem, Good Luck and let us know how it went.:thumb:

Wildbill

I too just finished my open water with contacts. I just closed my eyse and filled the mask. I could feel when the water was half full from where it was on my face (I filled from the bottom, just breaking the seal) I did fine. When you have to do the mask removal skill just keep them closed the whole time. It worked great. Congratulations,

Jessica

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom