Mask w/purge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rickyd

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I don't want to get into a debate of purge vs. no-purge. That's been discussed ad infinitum on the board. I have a full beard, and like using a purge valve. Even when I have a great fit and no leaks.

I am looking to replace my mask. It's a Tusa Platina Hyperdry, which has the purge valve under the left lens, not on the nose piece.
I will be using custom prescription bi-focals in whatever I get.

I've already asked on the Tusa board, and they no longer manufacture this model, nor, a similar one.

Anyone else know of masks where the purge valve is not located on the nose piece? I'm pretty sure the Hydro-Optix uses dual purges, under the lens, but, the one time I tried the HO, major mask squeeze, and broken capillaries in my eyes. Not sure I want to try that again.

I will admit I have not yet tried masks that use a purge that is installed below the nose ( as opposed to "in" the bottom of the nose piece ). This may allow enough room for comfort and work for me.

I dive mostly in cold SoCal, so also need the clearance for thick gloves to clear.

And yes, I already know to try them on, buy what fits, not on a recommendation, etc. etc. Just looking for starting points that meet the purge value requirement.

Also won't re-open the "purge vs non-purge" debate, but wonder if you've tried a non-purge mask in a while. A good, low-volume, properly fitting mask might just do the trick. Plenty of people with beards/mustaches dive without purge valves with no problems.

Also won't re-open the "purge vs non-purge" debate, but wonder if you've tried a non-purge mask in a while. A good, low-volume, properly fitting mask might just do the trick. Plenty of people with beards/mustaches dive without purge valves with no problems.

I haven't, for quite a long time, dove with a non-purge. And I'm not opposed to doing so. I'm not a hunter or photographer, so, I always have my hands free to clear. Great fit is certainly the priority, and a non-purge would offer the most options. I need to spend some time in my LDS.

I haven't, for quite a long time, dove with a non-purge. And I'm not opposed to doing so. I'm not a hunter or photographer, so, I always have my hands free to clear. Great fit is certainly the priority, and a non-purge would offer the most options. I need to spend some time in my LDS.

I see a lot of people with mustaches diving with Atomic frameless masks and a little Vaseline.

I see a lot of people with mustaches diving with Atomic frameless masks and a little Vaseline.
even without Vaseline :D.

how was your trip to Egypt? where have you stayed?

we can do custom bifocals and add a purge to any of our masks but it is in the bottom of the nose pocket....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom