Masks-help me with my decision...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mmm...it's a bit tough to help with deciding on a mask because it's such a personal decision and it all comes down to fit. The Mares would be first on my list though, because they are wicked comfy and have an exceptional warranty. I don't know much about Tusa, although they do make a good BC.

Tusa makes a good mask. I've had one since 1987. Had to replace the skirt once, but other than that it's great. Not sure about the current models, though.

I’ve tried several, high end, low volume and others but still go back to my old Scubamax mask. It never leaks a drop during a dive.

A note about low volume and prescription masks. After getting my low volume mask back from prescriptiondivemasks.com, the lenses were so close to my face the glass would touch my cheeks. Very annoying and it leaked. I solved the problem by diving at the beach and somehow I lost it in the surf. The Scubamax came back out of retirement.

I recently tried on SEADIVE masks. They fit my face very well and the optical clarity is exceptional. I have looked through many masks, but for me these are the best. I also have used many TUSA and like the quality for the price.

Sea Dive 2007

I'll join the fit and comfort bandwagon, that's definitely the most import criterion for a new mask. Personally I also prefer a black skirt, that eliminates alot of glare for the shallow diving that I do. I own two Riffe Nadias (mirrored and amber lens) and a Tusa Platina.

Chris

Since I am not so good at mask clearing, and having read all the advice from all of you(thxxx dude!!), I think I better go for a low volume mask.

any of the 3 I've suggested are of low volume (though all of them hv large vision)????
or any other good suggestions??

:coffee::coffee:

I can highly recommend the M-24 mask.

I recently got one as a replacement of my 7yr old mask which developed a small annoying leak.

The skirting on the M-24 is soft and very comfortable. I love the adjustable strap angle and the view is good too.

It's also got quite a low volume, but how low compared to the other two you mentioned...I don't know...but my fiance dives with a Mares X.Vision Liquidskin and she really likes it

I have an Atomics Subframe low volumn mask and love it. I just sent it off to have readers put on it and used my old Visage mask and I really missed my Subframe.

Gaffer

Obviously it all depends on the topography of your face and how the mask fits YOU. However, one thing I really recommend is to consider the angle of view. I'm not an instructor (whew!) but I often wonder how many Discover SCUBA and OW students would feel more comfortable underwater if they were fitted with a low volume mask giving them great visibility. I feel claustrophobic when I use some of my back-up masks due to the restricted field of view compared to my Cressi Big Eyes.

Choosing a mask is like choosing a spouse - don't ever try to give other people advice on what they should do, and don't ever criticise their choice (at least, not to their face).

For what it is worth, I shoot for low volume, high comfort (goes without saying) and I like clear silicone to allow as much light ingress as possible. But I also like blondes with a sense of humour, but I don't recommend everyone choose the same as me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom