Massive mako shark caught off Nova Scotia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Talk about a sad story. Would have been a lot easier to just cut the line and let the creature go.

Mako is excellent on the table though. What is the problem with legally keeping a shark to eat?

Quarrior:
Talk about a sad story. Would have been a lot easier to just cut the line and let the creature go.

deadend:
Mako is excellent on the table though. What is the problem with legally keeping a shark to eat?

I doubt this particular Mako will make it to the table. Most likely it will either rot or be turned into a trophy. Sometimes the most honorable thing to do when a creature of this stature is caught is to stand in awe of its magnificence and then release it back to the wild from whence it came.

deadend:

well, i guess the problem may be that they are legally keeping 100 million sharks a year to (partially) eat.

It's not a question of legality, it's a question of the ability of these creatures to reproduce, and the sport fishing mentality that sees animals like this targeted merely because of their size. Typically with fish, the larger the female, the higher the reproductive ability. Removing the largest females from the gene pool flys in the face of "survival of the fittest" theory - you're eliminating the genes that allowed the individual to survive to that size, and it removes apex reproducers - the individuals with the greatest ability to replenish stocks.

So little is known about shark reproduction it's not funny.

Sweet petunias, that mako's HUGE!! Can you imagine something that size ripping through the water chasing after billfish? Yikes!

What a bunch of a-holes. Why did they have to kill it? And why do so in such a cruel manner? They were just in it for the trophy, not to eat.

Makos, and all pelagic sharks, are a highly vulnerable shark due to the shark fin industry. Soon the pelagic shark will go the way of the Dodo.
I really hate people sometimes.

They had to keep it because the testosterone filled men who participate in these shark derbies up and down the coasts of Canada and the US are only in this for bragging rights. I posted these same pictures on my site two months ago and it created some very emotional responses. There is no need of anything being killed without the purpose of consuming it.

Jason

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom