Massive mako shark caught off Nova Scotia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What can I say, but uuummmm?

Several others use this same argument for whaling. And whatever was learned about reproduction is irrelevant for this beastie coz her days of keeping the species viable are O-V-E-R.

And I will take on anyone who says that this derby was wasteful and wrong,
I am sure they'll be quite a few who will stand up and disagree here. I stand in the camp that these "events" are idiotic and disrespectful and unsustainable.

Let's keep it polite if this thread continues...

alcina:
I am sure they'll be quite a few who will stand up and disagree here. I stand in the camp that these "events" are idiotic and disrespectful and unsustainable.

Let's keep it polite if this thread continues...

The last sentence isn't consistent with the prior paragraph. I'll attribute it to the late hour. I'd edit out "idiotic" at the least.

Thank you for your post becky. It's nice to have a firsthand report from someone who was there. It would appear that the fishing tourney you attended is about as "green" as can be, and educational as well. I hope you make additional postings on this board, we have a large diversity of divers here.

What many people take offense at is the tourney itself. It doesn't matter what happens to the animal, it's still being removed from the ecology. The very largest marine organisms tend to be the largest reproductive contributers (fecund).

By the way, what did you find out from the dissection? I'm curious to know the stomach contents. Did the on-site biologists estimate an age on the mako?

It's nice that catch-and-release is the standard for certain Canadian waters. I was unaware of that. If that's for both commercial and recreational fisheries, then overexploitation of the local sharks shouldn't be a problem with occasional tournaments like this one. The net gains from public education and interaction will offset the ecological takes. That's contemporary marine resource management in action. Very nice.

Beckyfish:
They were all cut into steaks and sold to local resteraunts and the rest was made into fertilizer.

You aren't convincing anyone with fertilizer. That's the worst justification I've ever heard. And I'm guessing a large percentage of that stuff was fertilizer because while you can get shark in nova scotian restaurants, you know as well as I do that hardly anyone eats it. NS is haddock country when it comes to white fish.

So the next time you start bashing these derbies, keep a few things in mind: science needs specimens in order to proceed. Without the actual animals to study, we could never have a hope of finding ways to preserve them.

We have to kill them to keep them alive. Sounds like japanese whale fishery logic. If there was no derby, would scientists be out there fishing? I understand taking advantage of the situation for research but again, it doesn't justify the end.

Beckyfish:
They were all cut into steaks and sold to local resteraunts and the rest was made into fertilizer.

Thanks for having the huevos for jumping in there becky, but I have to agree with jive turkey below.

jiveturkey:
while you can get shark in nova scotian restaurants, you know as well as I do that hardly anyone eats it. ..

The World Health Organisation is that you should not eat ANY shark species that is longer than about 130 cm long due to potential heavy metal accumulation.

I highly doubt that the shark such as the large mako would end up on anyones table, apart form the heavy metals, a fish that big would be unpalatable because of the ammonia..

jiveturkey:
If there was no derby, would scientists be out there fishing?

Yes. Both long-term and continuous-sample projects require periodic specimen takes. The monetary costs and wait times can be significantly reduced by cooperating with existing fisheries. Public education is an added bonus.

We have to kill them to keep them alive
The "scientific whaling" practiced by the Japanese is an example of exploiting a regulatory loophole. It's not a good example.

In both terrestrial and marine natural resource management it is standard, age-old practice to sacrifice portions of local habitats and populations in order to safeguard the overall ecology. The public demands it. There is very good socio-political reason as to why there are so fewer true marine reserves... the ones that forbid human entry of any but scientific kind.

Fisheries operate in a similar manner. The most progressive marine protected areas balance out public need with habitat protection. An excellent example of this would be the new Australian reserve in the Great Barrier Reef.

Catering to destructive human interactions on limited scales is one of the most effective ways to protect ecosystems as a whole. This is one of the biggest differences between researchers, environmentalists, and marine resource managers. The last group understands that in order to protect resources, you have to sometimes "dance with the devil". Scientists and environmentalists have the luxury of high principles... but they don't make the decisions.

Still think it's sad. hate the killing.....

Hmmm. I seem to remember a certain Jacques Cousteau sharking in the name of "science", of course that's rarely ever mentioned in the history books. "In the name of science" can easily be stated by some folks as breathlessly as "it was God's will" - we then can easily justify our actions.

I'm a fan of science and marine biology, but I guess there were no tags around? Has no one ever dissected a Mako before? Why would looking at a bloodied, drowned shark spark admiration in a little girl - I find that story extremely hard to believe. Perhaps this is what she said BEFORE it died.

archman:
By the way, what did you find out from the dissection? I'm curious to know the stomach contents. Did the on-site biologists estimate an age on the mako?

I'm guessing that they found various remains of sea creatures which would typically be on the mako's menu.

Beckyfish:
All of the sharks that were caught in this derby were fully processed: nothing was wasted.

Their future productivity was wasted as well as their current contribution to maintaining the ecological balance.

Beckyfish:
They were all cut into steaks and sold to local resteraunts and the rest was made into fertilizer. The jaws were either kept as trophies, or the teeth were removed and given to the children who came to watch as souveniers.

None of which is needed by the human population.

Beckyfish:
And I will take on anyone who says that this derby was wasteful and wrong,...

Which it was. Sharks and all the rest of the creatures on this planet have gotten along just fine for millions of years without the need for human understanding of their sexual maturity and aging methods. I doubt that very much new was learned form this one particular shark. I would be very interested in learning what truly new lessons were learned from this particular shark.

Beckyfish:
I even overheard one little girl say she didn't want her daddy catching the "pretty sharkies" anymore.

Even this child senses something inherently wrong with killing these animals. Why do the adults find it to be such sport?

Beckyfish:
Most of these children would never have seen a shark, dead or alive, had it not been for this event,

Aquariums would be a better venue IMHO.

Beckyfish:
So the next time you start bashing these derbies, keep a few things in mind: science needs specimens in order to proceed. Without the actual animals to study, we could never have a hope of finding ways to preserve them.

We would go a long way towards preserving them if we would leave them alone just like things were before modern mankind decided to conquer the world by understanding it.

While I disagree strongly with your view on this and with these derbies, I am glad you joined and sincerely hope that you will continue to participate.

jbd

I'm going to play devil's advocate for a bit, as there don't appear to be any ichthyologists or fisheries scientists posting. Both however are sub-disciplines of my field. Feel free to correct any mistakes I might make.

1. Jacques Costeau was not a true marine biologist. Very little use of the scientific method, and non-rigorous protocol designs. He's what we commonly term "national geographic scientists", or "sensationalist scientists". A more appropriate (and well-merited) designation for folks like him are underwater explorers. They're role is more to introduce the public to the natural world, rather than to perform research. They're indispensable as educators. They sell pretty books too.

2. Rationale for gut content analysis. Older, larger animals often have different dietary habits. And we really do know little about the behaviours and trophic dynamics of pelagic animals like makos. Often the information gleaned from books has been taken from very small data sets. Many times they're inaccurate as a result of this.
Another reason. Makos primarily are apex predators, feeding on billfishes, scombrids, and carangids. As those stocks are all commercially fished, it is useful to know if the diet of their natural predators is showing signs of shifting. If that can be documented, you have additional evidence that fisheries are being overexploited. "Lack of evidence" is the parrot-cry of fishing lobbies, and one of the top reasons regulatory action is slow to take form.

3. Rationale for aging specimen. Above-average sized wild organisms are always of interest to science. We'd like to know why they're so big. Is it age, diet, sex, environmentally, or behaviorally motivated? What is the animal's reproductive status? Are there biomagnified compounds in the tissues reducing fertility?
Growth rates and fecundity are among the Top 5 measurements of importance to fisheries scientists. They're necessary in predicting and modeling stocks. Shark fisheries rank as among the most poorly known. This lack of knowledge severely hampens our ability to pass regulations.

4. Public aquariums are not a better venue for a captured animal. It's far more useful to get data from a wild specimen. The only real advantages to aquarium transplantation are public education, and to ease the minds of the animal cruelty demographic.

5. It's well documented that experiential education is a very powerful and lasting resource management tool. I'd take all the kids I could to tournaments like this. It all hinges on how the experience is managed by the chaperones. With well-versed educators leading the group, you're going to do a lot of future good. The net gains can easily outweigh the losses. As an experiential marine educator for children and college students, this is a no-brainer.

And yes, dissecting large sharks killed by fishing efforts really DOES turn off kids. I've got 23 teens that'll attest to it.

*** one more thing, for the critics of the "shark steaks". Remember that much of the tournament would have caught smaller specimens perfectly acceptable for human consumption. And grilled mako does happen to be one of the tastiest of sharks. I do agree that caution might be warranted with eating the flesh of giant specimens... however biomagnification is most definitely NOT universal in the marine realm for large apex predators.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom